Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 28, 2009, 09:15 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Thanks for your feedback, gonna go easypeasy.

Oh and i just got an old Pentium 3 from someone... is it worth it to reformat and install a linux distro to play with? I read that vector linux would be a good choice for such an old computer.

You would be suprised how useful that P3 will be with Vector Linux, an excellent choice by the way as it is Slackware based, installed on it. You can even try Puppy Linux or Xbuntu which is Ubuntu but with the lighter weight but very functional Xfce desktop.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply
Old December 29, 2009, 05:35 AM
Allstar

I've been able to install Vector Linux on that P3 but i'm unable to get wired internet working on it....

Old December 29, 2009, 07:56 AM
Allstar
F@H

Got another NIC to try? I am surprised that it's not autodetected. I've never had an issue except for some of the OLD Linksys LNE-xxxx cards using Tulip drivers on my slackware machine.

Old December 29, 2009, 08:47 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
The only linux distrobutions I'd ever recommend are ones either based off Ubuntu or Slackware.

Ubuntu is far easier to grasp than slackware tho.
The first Linux distro I ever used was Slackware: STEEP learning curve, but oh so worth it...!

Old January 6, 2010, 08:37 PM
Allstar

Ok well i've installed easy peasy on my netbook with my 40gb kingston ssd. Works well, looks great.

Thing is, i know pretty much nothing about linux, and can't even install simple applications. Install files always give me simple things to write in the terminal but it doesn't work.

I'm trying to find a noob guide for ubuntu but cannot find one that explain what i need. How do i install simple apps like zsnes or aircrack?!

Old January 7, 2010, 04:32 AM
Top Prospect

just a fair warning, now it doesnt happen to all but wireless with linux is finicky at best unless you can sort out driver/kernal issues,
i had tones of problems with mint and ubuntu and a few others disto's.
now unless they have been fixed then great, im just letting you know ahead of time to possibly save you the headache i had!!
Old January 7, 2010, 08:52 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

If you have a spare computer you should try either FreeBSD or Slackware. They are both a bit rough to work with at start, but as Synth said about Slackware, it's worth it :)

Ubuntu or anything that is branched from it is imo -really- too bloated for any workstation (forget about a server). You usually don't need 1/5 of the software that comes with it and just trying to modify anything from it and strip it from it's 'stock' feature is usually a pain.
Heck, just going through the startup scripts (and most of the other scripts) to modify something would make anybody go f*ckin nuts :P

Also, unless you really want to test it for yourself, don't touch Red Hat or anything based off it... RH = the Windows of linux and it's bad. Installing that on anything that you plan to actually work on is like training a dog to find horse shit, bring it back and spread it on your living room couch.
Old January 7, 2010, 04:45 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

One of the good thing with Ubuntu is that it's well supported and it's normally easy to get help. You first stop should be there: Support Overview | Ubuntu. You'll find plenty of "basic" information, like how to add and remove software.

And if you just want to "play" with some distributions, you might want to run them inside a virtual machine, this gives you quite a lot of flexibility, IMO.

Old January 7, 2010, 04:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmosland View Post
just a fair warning, now it doesnt happen to all but wireless with linux is finicky at best unless you can sort out driver/kernal issues,
i had tones of problems with mint and ubuntu and a few others disto's.
now unless they have been fixed then great, im just letting you know ahead of time to possibly save you the headache i had!!
this has not been a problem for sometime
Old January 7, 2010, 05:05 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
this has not been a problem for sometime

same here... you need only basic network knowledge... Windows, MAC, Wii. Desbian Ipod ...what ever it's all the same