Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 24, 2009, 07:16 PM
MVP

Default What is the difference between OEM and Retail?

Hello, looking copys of windows 7 in the stores I see OEM versions and retail ones. There is about a 100 dollar price difference between the two. Obviously I would like to spend less money, but is there a catch?
Old December 24, 2009, 07:20 PM
Banned
F@H

By the licence , an OEM should be only install on a new system, by the builder of the system. I don't know how come we can find them in retail store, but I'm sure MS is well aware of this and do nothing to stop it.
Old December 24, 2009, 07:29 PM
MVP

So if I want to reinstall it as many times as I want without getting screwed around I should get the retail version eh?
Old December 24, 2009, 07:30 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
So if I want to reinstall it as many times as I want without getting screwed around I should get the retail version eh?

many time as you wants is a big word....
Old December 25, 2009, 10:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can usually use OEM on multiple installs, you just have to call up MS's phone lines. Usually OEM is a better bet.
Old December 25, 2009, 10:36 AM
MVP

However, the catch with the OEM version is that it's tied to the motherboard. If you change your motherboard you're gonna need a new copy of Windows 7
Old December 25, 2009, 10:59 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

last I heard they decided against tying the license to a mobo. All you have to do w/ OEM...is try the internet activation first, if it fails call em up. Tell em your mobo died, you are reinstalling your OS due to virus's,etc. When I build for other people I always go w/ OEM. For myself...I use technet. BUT if I didnt have technet, I'd go for OEM in a heartbeat.

YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 25, 2009, 01:21 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Technically an OEM installation is tied to the PC (not motherboard, the entire PC) that it is purchased with and installed on. However, in practice Microsoft does not enforce that restriction.
Old December 27, 2009, 10:41 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Technically an OEM installation is tied to the PC (not motherboard, the entire PC) that it is purchased with and installed on. However, in practice Microsoft does not enforce that restriction.
bingo.

Now that we have the licensing differences between OEM and RETAIL lets look at the differences in technical support between the two:

Retail: call Microsoft Directly for Windows tech support
OEM: call the "PC BUILDER" for windows tech support (or where you purchased your OEM copy)
Old December 27, 2009, 10:46 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Where I'm a MCSE its been a loooooong time since I had to phone MS for help (and pay for it). BUT I highly doubt you will need to do so, and even if you do the chances of it being a "free call" to GET a solution are slim. MS will help with installation and the such of Win 7, BUT if you have to phone 'cause program X, or hardware Y isnt working....you will be most likely told to either talk to the maker/mfg'er of X or Y or cough up $$.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr