Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 18, 2009, 02:19 PM
Default changing ownership in Vista

For some time now I have had some problems with a file on one of my HDD's. I do not have permission to copy, delete, move, install to etc anything to that folder(it was my main program files folder until something happened to it). Oddly, and I do not know if it is related, but I cannot extend or shrink the partition on that drive either which is quite frusterating. I have the drive partitioned into a backup and a files partition, though the backup is 75% of the partition size only because I cannot extend the files partition past its current 50 some odd GB. This problem could be just vista, I haven't tried any 3rd party software to combat this yet, im not really concerned about it at this point, I just want to fix the folder.

Anyway, for the folder I discovered that when I go, properties, security, permissions, edit, then owner, the owner is set to system. All my other files on my PC are set to administrators. I cannot though change the permission to administrator, it just denies it. Anyone have any idea how I get around this?
My blog, all about computers, games and technology