Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Autocad 2010 Student ??????? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/26319-autocad-2010-student.html)

MarkOne December 7, 2009 03:38 PM

Autocad 2010 Student ???????

Hello every one I want to play a little bit with autocad for make some parts with my friend CNC milling . of course I don't want to spend $ 4000 for see if I gone like make CAD,

they said this version have full function, but print with watermark I don't care about it, but can I use the DWG in a CNC Milling ?

here the link of the Student products

Autodesk AutoCAD 2010 with Academic Discount at Studica.com

Zero82z December 7, 2009 03:45 PM

You can't send a model straight to a CNC machine. You need to first generate tool paths based on the model, convert them into machine code, and then send that code to the CNC machine. I have no personal experience with AutoCAD, but I believe you can do that from within the software.

Sagath December 7, 2009 04:14 PM

I HIGHLY recommend Aspire to do what youve asked.
Vectric - CNC Software Solutions - Wood Carving - Engraving - Signmaking - Routing - Machining

It is very VERY easy to use for someone thats not very familiar with CNC and/or CAD.

My buddy uses it on the home made CNC machine he built with my help. Wicked program, and its fairly cheap too. You can get everything you need to start milling in 3d for about $500

Deviant December 7, 2009 04:24 PM

If you're a student, I thought you could download Autocad software for free?

1. What is the Education Community website?
The Education Community is an online community where students and educators can download free* software, find valuable learning resources, and connect with people and jobs. To learn more, visit www.autodesk.com/edcommunity.

Autodesk Education Community FAQ
12. How many times can a student download the product?
The installation file(s) can be downloaded as many times as you want, but each Education Community member is issued only one serial number for that version in a 13-month period. Without a serial number, the downloaded file will work for a 30-day trial period.

MarkOne December 7, 2009 04:37 PM

Thanks guy, the Vectric look more simple than autocad.. but I think I don't make my question clear. I want to know if with the Student edition I can make DWG that I can export in a software for milling like in the exemple of Sagath , the Cut2D of Vertric If yes an I can do what wants and start to like it I don't care after to purchase the Autocad full version. So is it worth to spent $ 200 in a student Autocad. or it's just a demo

Sagath December 7, 2009 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkOne (Post 298394)
Thanks guy, the Vectric look more simple than autocad.. but I think I don't make my question clear. I want to know if with the Student edition I can make DWG that I can export in a software for milling like in the exemple of Sagath , the Cut2D of Vertric If yes an I can do what wants and start to like it I don't care after to purchase the Autocad full version. So is it worth to spent $ 200 in a student Autocad. or it's just a demo

Student autocad lasts 18mo iirc. So no, it wont work for long.

And again, V-Carve will take any drawings, export it to G-code for CNC machines, and run it. It will also take scans, jpgs, bmps and a bunch of other drawing types, and make the G-Code for that.

AUTOCAD itself will NOT do G-Code, unless you buy an addon, and even then, I dont think the addon works with the student copies.

MarkOne December 7, 2009 05:16 PM

Thanks Sagath, I really appreciate your link , by the way the autocad show in the link is good for 60 months , If I use it and save a DWG MAY be I can use V-carve after for the milling, anyway they offer a 30 days free version for try,.. that's nice . But the fact it also draw a watermark make me worry that I can't use it for that purpose. But I really want to try Autocad . So I think I gone risk the Student for play a little bit with it,

One thing sure I will try the Vectric free trial to see what I can do with it , anyway I need something also for the laser cutter I plan to purchase. thanks again for that link

Zero82z December 7, 2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkOne (Post 298420)
Thanks Sagath, I really appreciate your link , by the way the autocad show in the link is good for 60 months , If I use it and save a DWG MAY be I can use V-carve after for the milling, anyway they offer a 30 days free version for try,.. that's nice . But the fact it also draw a watermark make me worry that I can't use it for that purpose. But I really want to try Autocad . So I think I gone risk the Student for play a little bit with it,

You don't seem to understand. You don't export a drawing and send it to a CNC for machining. You create a model using CAD software, then generate tool paths based on that model, using whatever piece of software you prefer (I believe most if not all well-known CAD systems have built-in functionality to do this, and I'm sure AutoCAD does as well, although I've never used it). The tool paths are converted to machine code, and it is that code which is sent to the machine. The fact that the student version of AutoCAD places watermarks on drawings that you print doesn't make a difference, since those drawings have nothing to do with the actual process of using a CNC machine to machine a part that you design in CAD software.

So in short, you should be able to use the student version of AutoCAD to do what you want.

MarkOne December 7, 2009 06:04 PM

I guess it'S you who don't understand... I said I will export the drawing in a software like cut2D , not directly in the CNC . my friend have the software to generate the code , I just need to bring him a drawing in .dwg

but I'm worry if you have a watermark in the drawing it will also show in the code ...

Anyway I was expecting someone who have do it , not guess it. Since I really want learn Autocad I will order the student version, and at the end if I still like it I will simply order the full version. I don't need to make the coding, every machin shop have thje software to do so , I just need to export the drawinfg in dwg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero82z (Post 298444)
You don't seem to understand. You don't export a drawing and send it to a CNC for machining. ....

MarkOne December 7, 2009 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sagath (Post 298399)

AUTOCAD itself will NOT do G-Code, unless you buy an addon, and even then, I dont think the addon works with the student copies.

but the Cut2D will import the .dwg right ? , the problem may be the watermark that came with it