Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   The battle begins - Win7 x64 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/26175-battle-begins-win7-x64.html)

Dr_BenD_over December 3, 2009 04:44 AM

The battle begins - Win7 x64

So, I'm giving this a shot at work, this should be fun, we've got so much crappy half-assed inhouse software, and I have to use most of it on a daily basis.

Issues so far:

- no drivers for my FlashPro430 (not a show stopper, I can use my Win2K machine)
- shortcuts to network drives on the desktop keep disappearing - very annoying - this may be due to a bios issues with the Vostro's which makes them loose network connections
- I keep having to log into forums again, I'm sure this is some setting somewhere
- I could not copy key DLL's to the system32 directory, it said I needed to be an administrator to do so, but I am, I had to completely disable UAC to get by that, and of course I actually wound up having to put them in the system directory to get the software to work
- Cygwin doesn't want to run, I got it to work once, but now I just get errors - looks like something to do with memory allocation, I'm trying to get a new installer now that works with Win7, but it seems all those mirrors are craptacular. I've gotten this to run, kinda. I'm getting a error that the username and pasword isn't setup properly (on a domain) but when I try to create the group and password using mkgroup and mkpasswd, I get an error that the RPC server is not responding, I've enabled the RPC locator to no avail.
- MS's drivers for my Aardvark didn't work, fortunately it uses a bog standard interface and I was able to find drivers elsewhere, it remains to be seen as to whether it works with our software though - and it doesn't :rofl:

Surprises:

- Both CE 3.0 (serial) and CE 5.0 (USB) devices will connect to WMDC

more to follow, I really don't want to go back to XP :ph34r:

JD December 3, 2009 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over (Post 296298)
more to follow, I really don't want to go back to XP :ph34r:

Use the XP Mode functionality if you have Professional/Ultimate and that might help out with application compatibility. Not sure about drivers though.

Dr_BenD_over December 8, 2009 11:59 AM

Looks like I'll be sticking with Windows 7, I can use an old Win2K machine for the stuff that doesn't work on Win7 yet. Cygwin's still not 100% sorted out, but I've figured out work arounds for what I need to use it for.

Chilly December 8, 2009 12:05 PM

Other than these minor issues, how are you liking it so-far?

Dr_BenD_over December 8, 2009 12:22 PM

It's pretty decent, I can't wait to get it on my gaming machine, which shouldn't have any issues, and I can finally be rid of Vista. I am missing Nview though, I'l have to see if I can get that to work.

Dr_BenD_over December 9, 2009 05:23 AM

May have spoke to soon. "COM Surrogate Failed" as I right clicked and clicked personalization, then when I sought an online solution for the issue I got a RPC failure to iexplorer.exe

Gellidius December 9, 2009 07:18 AM

about this:"-shortcuts to network drives on the desktop keep disappearing - very annoying - this may be due to a bios issues with the Vostro's which makes them loose network connections",
i had the same problem, found the solution by changing config. in ccleaner.

Dr_BenD_over December 9, 2009 08:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Seems Corel X3 has some issues as well, it keeps telling me I can't make changes to a network drive when I go to save a file, but it's my local drive.

enaberif December 9, 2009 09:50 AM

bahaha xp 4 lyfe.

sorry i know not helpful :p

miggs78 December 9, 2009 02:00 PM

Holly Cow.. Doc you're really encountering issues after issues.. I swear, even though I don't do as much as you do (based on software), I seriously am still to encounter one error, or problem.. Yes some things are hard to get used to, but still, slowly but steadily..

I'm yet to experiment the XP Mode.. Also in gaming, for some reason before I formatted and installed Win 7, by XP 32 bit.. some games kept lagging in games where places have heavy graphics usage.. Imo for a 4870 to play games like Colin McRae Dirt or Nba Live 07.. Live 07 I actually installed a major update that really improves grahpics, visuals, the courts.. but sometimes it used to lag, in Win 7 now.. I hardly ever have lagging, it plays smooth..

Anyhow, hope you get your issues sorted out.. I am still a die hard XP fan, but starting to like Win 7 too..