Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2009, 08:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Old December 2, 2009, 08:50 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

The Vista driver model does not support it. It's as simple as that. The only way to do this would be to use Windows 7 which has a newer version of the driver model that allows multiple active display drivers. I've already explained this.
Old December 3, 2009, 06:20 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I get it, I believe you. Does not mean I'm going to just give up on the idea though.
Old December 3, 2009, 07:53 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
From what I understand, it's ATI's choosing not to use PhysX. They refuse to believe it's a superior standard (which we could debate for a long time). However, Nvidia also did withdraw their offer (some press releases say they are open to letting them use it) so it's a little bit their own fault. However, I fail how you see this as "greed". If ATI were to use PhysX, Nvidia would make lots of cash off that too. Sure, they may lose some GPU sales but they probably have licensing costs from ATI + game makers. Nvidia also had to spend $15 on TWIMTBP which includes helping with PhysX support, if it were a standard they wouldn't need to spend so much.

As to your original question, yes, it's totally possible. You got any clue how to code GPU drivers? You're gonna need to make a custom driver that works for ATI cards and Nvidia cards. Have fun! I'd get started now, you may make it by the time Windows 11 is out.
I don't think this is true.
ATI was working on they're own physx engine with havoc and intel bought havoc and did away with ATI's physx engine as they are in business with Nvidia.
I agree with what others have said, this is blackballing, its an attempt to corner a market and in the end it hurts consumers.
at this point, even if ATI was the absolutely worst garbage video cards out there, i still wouldn't give Nvidia my money due to these types of things that they have always done since they're inception.
This isn't new....just one more time Nvidia tries to screw over anyone who doesn't buy they're product. Thats why I don't buy Intel ether. These companies are hurting you and I so stop feeding them your money and tell them you don't appreciate they're unfair bus. practice by giving your money to they're competition for awhile. Until people are willing to do this things like this will continue.
So speak to corporations with your purchases, its all we have as a people.
Old December 3, 2009, 09:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Trust me man, you better start learning how to code GPU drivers. And how to make a universal driver. Or you code re-code the Vista kernel, maybe morphing it with the 7 kernel? Either way, it's gonna be fun. Reminds me of this other thread where a guy is serious about making an iron man suit. He's about to start building. Oh, and before you do anything, pics by the end or it didn't happen. Hell, if you get this to work maybe you'll get job offers lol.
Old December 3, 2009, 09:31 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canzara View Post
I don't think this is true.
ATI was working on they're own physx engine with havoc and intel bought havoc and did away with ATI's physx engine as they are in business with Nvidia.
I agree with what others have said, this is blackballing, its an attempt to corner a market and in the end it hurts consumers.
at this point, even if ATI was the absolutely worst garbage video cards out there, i still wouldn't give Nvidia my money due to these types of things that they have always done since they're inception.
This isn't new....just one more time Nvidia tries to screw over anyone who doesn't buy they're product. Thats why I don't buy Intel ether. These companies are hurting you and I so stop feeding them your money and tell them you don't appreciate they're unfair bus. practice by giving your money to they're competition for awhile. Until people are willing to do this things like this will continue.
So speak to corporations with your purchases, its all we have as a people.
Isnt intel fighting for a piece of the market with Nvidia? I dont think Intel is doing anything to help Nvidia grow.
Old December 4, 2009, 07:04 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agafaba View Post
Isnt intel fighting for a piece of the market with Nvidia? I dont think Intel is doing anything to help Nvidia grow.
I didn't say they were helping them grow. but they do have contracts together.
But thats not relavent to what I said. Intel is an underhanded dishonest corporation, thats why they just got that big a$$ fine in europe. I know they say they're gonna play nice now, I'll believe it when it happens.
Old December 4, 2009, 07:24 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Trust AMD, THEY ARE OUR FRIEND.

AMD seems more forward and true to there tech. Intel on the other hand seems to push out new tech that's not entirely true. Don't mind me if you don't grasp my thought process.

Ok then, Back to the original topic.

Since vista just simply won't allow a second display driver, and I can't see someone writing a fancy new driver to work with it. What else could work? Other then upgrading or downgrading.

I'm still on the hunt for a back door approach. Vista won't allow me to detect the Nvidia card while the ATI drivers are installed. That seems odd to me. Yes I can see it denying me the ability to install another display driver, but to not detect the card all together doesn't make a whole lot of sence. with any device added windows detects it and likely labels it as unknown if no drivers are found.

Has this happened with any other vista users?

I'd like to see if we can get vista to detect my card for starters, thus I'm asking if anyone knows of a simply software dedicated to detecting hardware.
Old December 4, 2009, 12:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibi_man View Post

AMD seems more forward and true to there tech. Intel on the other hand seems to push out new tech that's not entirely true. Don't mind me if you don't grasp my thought process.

Since vista just simply won't allow a second display driver, and I can't see someone writing a fancy new driver to work with it. What else could work? Other then upgrading or downgrading.

I'm still on the hunt for a back door approach. Vista won't allow me to detect the Nvidia card while the ATI drivers are installed. That seems odd to me. Yes I can see it denying me the ability to install another display driver, but to not detect the card all together doesn't make a whole lot of sence. with any device added windows detects it and likely labels it as unknown if no drivers are found.

I'd like to see if we can get vista to detect my card for starters, thus I'm asking if anyone knows of a simply software dedicated to detecting hardware.
You're going to have to re-write the OS or re-write the GPU drivers. Have fun. There's simply no easy way. But, the other options seem fun to watch someone fail at trying. Hmm, lets do some simple math.

Installing Windows 7: Couple hours, $100 or so.
Doing it on Vista: Couple thousand/hundred thousand man hours, couple thousand dollars.

Yep, Vista is the totally viable option.
Old December 4, 2009, 01:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibi_man View Post

Why are you fighting this so intensely? Just bite the bullet, get 7Pro, and stop smashing your head into a wall until brain oozes out.

...Actually, continue. It makes the gene pool stronger for the rest of us.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about