View Poll Results: What Host OS for VMWare Server
Server 2003 x64 6 100.00%
Windows XP 64 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2009, 03:21 PM
Rookie
F@H

I have a server set up at home that runs/handles a large number of assorted things, among them VMs. The first version was just a recycled Dell GX280 with 4GB of ram from work, and I ran VMware server on that without a hitch using 2003 32-bit.

My current server box, running 2008 64-bit is:

Asus M3A78-CM w/ integrated video
AMD AM2+ 7850 CPU @ 2.6GHz
8GB Patriot Viper Series PC2-8500 RAM
400W Corsair Power Supply

I have had zero issues with either 2008 or 2003 regarding vmware. And as for CPU power, as long as you have virtualization capabilities you should be okay (As was said above, the cpu will likely be idle most of the time). Memory is much more likely to run out before you experience issues with cpu power. On the current set up, I run 3 different linux vms and an XP vm at all times, along with a number of others that I turn on/play with whenever I want. My memory usage is between 3 and 4GB for the entire system during normal operation, and that is with generous memory allowances for each of my always-on vms.

ESX, xen, and the other free bare-metal hypervisors would be something I would look into if you don't already have a server set up. I will be going the ESX route soon, but the large amount of data backed up on the current server is tricky to convert without extra space to move things around, and I'm not sure if I will want to have my data backups as a virtual disk so I may separate the functions. If I could do it over though, I would have started with a bare-metal system.
Old December 2, 2009, 08:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

thanks everyone. And in regards to upgrading to ESX it's nice but the bare metal ESX os is fairly limited in what you can do with it. To really take full use of all it's advanced features you need vCenter server and vSphere which are not cheap to buy.