Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 17, 2007, 04:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default What is the right vista for me?

I am looking at getting Vista 64bit when I get my new computer plus 2 more gigs of ram to make it 4g. I am wondering what version should I get. I am thinking ultimate edition but what will be the least bloat ware and the most stable? Plan to do DX10 gaming.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old September 17, 2007, 04:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
I am looking at getting Vista 64bit when I get my new computer plus 2 more gigs of ram to make it 4g. I am wondering what version should I get. I am thinking ultimate edition but what will be the least bloat ware and the most stable? Plan to do DX10 gaming.
Don't bother with Vista or 64bit.

Nothing is taking advantage of more than 3gb or so of memory and Vista is just to damn unstable at the moment to deem it reliable. If you insist on running Vista wait till Sp1 is released.
Old September 17, 2007, 11:34 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Vista Premium should be fine.
I use the 32 bit version and it runs all my games effortlessly with no issues and Bioshock looks fantastic.
I'm currently downloading the Crysis beta and can only imagine what this is going to look like once installed :)
Old September 18, 2007, 06:48 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Vista problems = user error

Vista far from perfect, but most problems have been faced and patched. SP1 will be here soon as well. I am going Vista Premium 64bit myself since it is the future (64 bit OS that is). Everyone I know running vista (20 people and counting) have no issues with it. I am still not happy that we have to run Vista for DX10, but if you want to play you gotta pay..... (I hate you with every inch of my being M$). Anyways, skip Ultimate, they have really not delivered on any promises of the extras that are supposed to come with it.
Old September 18, 2007, 07:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Vista problems = user error

Vista far from perfect, but most problems have been faced and patched. SP1 will be here soon as well. I am going Vista Premium 64bit myself since it is the future (64 bit OS that is). Everyone I know running vista (20 people and counting) have no issues with it. I am still not happy that we have to run Vista for DX10, but if you want to play you gotta pay..... (I hate you with every inch of my being M$). Anyways, skip Ultimate, they have really not delivered on any promises of the extras that are supposed to come with it.
Vista problems != user error.

Vista is just unstable and has lots of bugs and will just randomly crash out for no reason so don't give me that

Vista was rushed and the only reason why everyone jumped on the bandwagon for Vista was DX10 and guess what that hasn't even proven itself yet.
Old September 18, 2007, 07:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'll third Premuim, the extras are a joke IMO
Dont buy the retail for what $120(?) you can get prem OEM over retail @ what 299? for that price you can get 2 copys of OEM, sure they are tied to your mobo but still cheaper IMO.

IDK about Vista being user error I would say 50/50 there it is way more stable than it was though. Some games dont play for me on vista, 2142 for 1 had a hell of a time getting it up and running ended up just booting into XP when I want to play any game now but thats not vista's fault IMO. And IE7 seams to like to quite working on me random.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old September 18, 2007, 07:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Vista problems != user error.

Vista is just unstable and has lots of bugs and will just randomly crash out for no reason so don't give me that

Vista was rushed and the only reason why everyone jumped on the bandwagon for Vista was DX10 and guess what that hasn't even proven itself yet.
I am asuming you are running Vista or have in the last little while?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old September 18, 2007, 08:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
I am asuming you are running Vista or have in the last little while?
Yes I use Vista on a daily basis and have tried to run it numerous times on my own machine and gave up due to problems I didn't like with Vista or problems with Vista I couldn't control.
Old September 18, 2007, 10:53 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I use Vista Basic 64 bit, has everything I need.
Old September 18, 2007, 01:29 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

im sick of this vista unstable crap. Its been perfectly fine for me. Dont get ultimate version though its got a bunch of useless crap. at most get the premium.

Join our Folding@Home team!