LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 26, 2009, 08:00 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Windows Antivirus ?

Noooo...

here's what happened to me a few days ago;

surfing on the net and reading something...then suddenly a window opens, on the top is written "Windows Antivirus";
the text says that it has detected an infection in my pc, by 5 virii (viruses), and i should download the Windows Antivirus so it can cure my pc of those nasties.

that got me laughing as they would have me believe that my Windows Antivirus has detected something and i have to dl it for a cure. (of course i don't have such an antivirus and i don't believe it even exists.)

If it happens to you, be sure you don't download that Windows Antivirus, because if you do that, this is the time when you'll be downloading virusses in your machine; the viruses have NOT infected your pc.

This is a trick.

Ego cogito, ergo deus non est.
Old November 26, 2009, 11:22 PM
Allstar
F@H

It's one of the oldest tricks in the book. On a similar note, I seem to be rather happy with Microsoft Security Essentials.
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old November 27, 2009, 04:09 AM
Banned
F@H

Same here and I like the price too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neolithium_Wpg View Post
...On a similar note, I seem to be rather happy with Microsoft Security Essentials.
Old November 27, 2009, 04:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

That isn't a virus so you'll need a spyware/malware remover.
Old November 27, 2009, 06:20 AM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Avira Antivirus is free and seem like it has good reputation. I have been using since I ran Windows 7 because it works with it.
Old November 27, 2009, 06:25 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

MS Security Essentials is decent for malware....not so great as a A/V (IIRC no heuristics). i.e. its good but not as good as Avira.

Avira (free) + Malwarebytes (full version for like 20 something) = great setup.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 27, 2009, 11:15 AM
Top Prospect

If you keep an eye out, sometimes NCIX or any of the large online retailers will have NOD32 subscriptions on sale(Under $10 /year), I picked up 2x CDs /w subscription last year, and has been going great.
Old December 8, 2009, 10:01 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Since I switched to Avira from AVG I've never had any spy/malware dilemmas. Lightweight too.
Old December 8, 2009, 10:49 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I like the free version of malwarebytes, as it doesnt take any resources during day to day use - you have to purchase it for active protection. Only downside is you have to be disciplined to run it often, that with kaspersky av is my setup!
Was it worth purchasing malwarebytes AKG?
Old December 9, 2009, 05:51 AM
Top Prospect

I use Avast and Avira on my Win7 x64 OS...seems to work better the Kaspersky 2010 trial I was using.. Cleans & scans system quickly..does the job AND FREE