Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 23, 2009, 12:55 PM
Banned
F@H

Default A way to know witch version of Windows from the Key

Hi, is there a way to know witch version of windows from the Key label ( serial )

i means it's said XP .. but not the service packs.. in case of lost of the cd.. it's very anoying to try all them ( xp, xp srv pack 1,2,3 ) before find the good one.
Old November 23, 2009, 01:17 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

XP keys are XP KEYS. All keys will work with all SP. I've got XP pre SP keys and CDs which were slipstreamed to SP1, then SP2, then SP3. All work fine.
The only dif is OEM, CORP and retail. There is a small line in a certain file which specifies what a given CD is. IF your serial is an OEM and you try it on a Retail CD....it will usually reject it.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 23, 2009, 01:42 PM
Banned
F@H

thanks AkG, I know ....it's just I should have not make a general question and explain my problem first

here my real problem, my daughter play with my CD case and she mess up the label , ( that I have not apply on the case..don't send me in jail for it Bill. ) so I have cd with different srv pack than I will like to put in good order.

this is only an exemple I have more than 12 miss place label