Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7, 2009, 12:16 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Windows 7 Upgrade.

Hey guys, I'll be upgradeing from Vista 32 bit to 7 Professional 64 bit later tonight and I'm interested in tips and comments from the more experienced people here at HWC. I'm a bit nervious on doing this because it's only my second OS install. I have read up on the custom install quite a bit but all help will be welcome.

Thank's and
Old November 7, 2009, 12:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Nothing to worry about really, just make sure you have your important files back up because you never know what may end up happening (crash/reformat/etc). Beyond that its just put the dvd in and following the on screen directions and thats about it.
Old November 7, 2009, 12:33 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Nothing to worry about really, just make sure you have your important files back up because you never know what may end up happening (crash/reformat/etc). Beyond that its just put the dvd in and following the on screen directions and thats about it.
I have everything important backed up onto my portable HD via Windows easy transfer and the folders themselves. I even put all the important family pictures on two seperate flash driives.

This install will be performed with the .exe download of 7 Professional as the DVD is still on it's way in the mail system somewhere. These are now located on my portable HD and as per instructions I'll install from there. Since I'm an apprentice and in school now I purchaced W7P for 52.99.
Old November 7, 2009, 01:14 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Just be aware that you can't do an upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit Windows. You'll have to put on an entirely new installation of the OS. But as long as you've got everything backed up, getting all your software installed and your settings configured the way you like them shouldn't be a problem.
Old November 7, 2009, 02:04 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Zero82z is very right. It would be better if you could make a DVD of the installation disc, as it's going to need a custom install. If you go that route, I personally found this link quite helpful:

Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version - Windows 7 Forums
Old November 7, 2009, 02:51 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Maybe I should just wait until I get the DVD in my hands. I can then do a clean install from the boot menu and re-partition my 1TB HD. I'm currently dual booting Vista and 7 and have the HD split. How can I make a DVD of the .exe? I thought you need an ISO image to go on the DVD. The download was only for the .exe file and not an ISO.
Old November 7, 2009, 04:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I believe that this could help you out on making a bootable iso from that .exe
Make bootable iso from student d/l - Windows 7 Forums

Also here is another tool from Microsoft that helps you make/burn a dvd or USB key from your iso:
Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool - Windows 7 Forums

Hope those help.

Old November 7, 2009, 10:29 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
I believe that this could help you out on making a bootable iso from that .exe
Make bootable iso from student d/l - Windows 7 Forums

Also here is another tool from Microsoft that helps you make/burn a dvd or USB key from your iso:
Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool - Windows 7 Forums

Hope those help.
Thanks, that'll come in handy for my MSDNAA copies.