Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Windows 7 Upgrade. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/25283-windows-7-upgrade.html)

Spikemaul November 7, 2009 12:16 PM

Windows 7 Upgrade.

Hey guys, I'll be upgradeing from Vista 32 bit to 7 Professional 64 bit later tonight and I'm interested in tips and comments from the more experienced people here at HWC. I'm a bit nervious on doing this because it's only my second OS install. I have read up on the custom install quite a bit but all help will be welcome.

Thank's and Way To Fold

Arinoth November 7, 2009 12:21 PM

Nothing to worry about really, just make sure you have your important files back up because you never know what may end up happening (crash/reformat/etc). Beyond that its just put the dvd in and following the on screen directions and thats about it.

Spikemaul November 7, 2009 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 284094)
Nothing to worry about really, just make sure you have your important files back up because you never know what may end up happening (crash/reformat/etc). Beyond that its just put the dvd in and following the on screen directions and thats about it.

:thumb:I have everything important backed up onto my portable HD via Windows easy transfer and the folders themselves. I even put all the important family pictures on two seperate flash driives.

This install will be performed with the .exe download of 7 Professional as the DVD is still on it's way in the mail system somewhere. These are now located on my portable HD and as per instructions I'll install from there. Since I'm an apprentice and in school now I purchaced W7P for 52.99.:thumb:

Zero82z November 7, 2009 01:14 PM

Just be aware that you can't do an upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit Windows. You'll have to put on an entirely new installation of the OS. But as long as you've got everything backed up, getting all your software installed and your settings configured the way you like them shouldn't be a problem.

vulcan500rider November 7, 2009 02:04 PM

Zero82z is very right. It would be better if you could make a DVD of the installation disc, as it's going to need a custom install. If you go that route, I personally found this link quite helpful:

Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version - Windows 7 Forums

Spikemaul November 7, 2009 02:51 PM

Maybe I should just wait until I get the DVD in my hands. I can then do a clean install from the boot menu and re-partition my 1TB HD. I'm currently dual booting Vista and 7 and have the HD split. How can I make a DVD of the .exe? I thought you need an ISO image to go on the DVD. The download was only for the .exe file and not an ISO.

ipaine November 7, 2009 04:27 PM

I believe that this could help you out on making a bootable iso from that .exe
Make bootable iso from student d/l - Windows 7 Forums

Also here is another tool from Microsoft that helps you make/burn a dvd or USB key from your iso:
Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool - Windows 7 Forums

Hope those help.

Zero82z November 7, 2009 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipaine (Post 284196)
I believe that this could help you out on making a bootable iso from that .exe
Make bootable iso from student d/l - Windows 7 Forums

Also here is another tool from Microsoft that helps you make/burn a dvd or USB key from your iso:
Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool - Windows 7 Forums

Hope those help.

Thanks, that'll come in handy for my MSDNAA copies.