Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   To page file or not to page file (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/25239-page-file-not-page-file.html)

gingerbee November 5, 2009 07:10 PM

To page file or not to page file

well I think that says it all so far i have run vista 64 and 7/64 with no page file but how low can you go or half some of you gone with out any problem 1 or 2 gig of memory
So far my lowest is only 4 gb which is not low anyone else input please. Thanks:biggrin:

MarkOne November 5, 2009 07:25 PM

the computer i'm using now have only the browser open, IE, and I'm using 825 mb with all the crap running at the back... so I guess it will be risky to not page on a 1 gb system.

Gellidius November 5, 2009 07:34 PM

on my win 7, at idle but with background programs running, i use around 1.2GB of RAM. Of course it goes up when i work on the thing, but to be sure i always got enough, pagefile is over 10GB on the data drive.

gingerbee November 6, 2009 04:37 AM

wow i thought more people would have played around with this all ready think i will try running nothing but 2 gigs and see where it takes me ( just on htpc my i7 eats ram like crazy with video editing )

Jack Rabbit November 6, 2009 10:05 AM

I have no problems running my 2G desktop with no page file except when running games. I do not do CAD or video editing or other memory demanding things on that computer so 2G is plenty. I used to be able to optimize my computer a bit by tuning the pagefile but, frankly, it just does not make a noticeable difference anymore. Not to mention that most computers have disk space out the wazoo so who cares if you have a few gigs of page file?

gingerbee November 6, 2009 10:50 AM

ssd my are you don't page file ( but i am just trying to get my htpc downgraded i really don't need what i have )

Jack Rabbit November 6, 2009 12:26 PM

The page file does not cause significant wear on a SSD. The page file is written in large blocks and not very frequently. Anything that writes log files will cause more wear. Besides, what will you really accomplish? Extending the life of you SSD from ten years to twelve? In five years they will be so cheap we will all be laughing (or crying) about how much we spent on them way back in oh nine.

gingerbee November 6, 2009 01:20 PM

well i have found that page file on any of my ssd and they run much slower

Gellidius November 6, 2009 02:37 PM

yeah, i think it's better to have enough RAM for all one's needs cause it's faster than using lots of pagefile.
pagefile should only be used when there's no way around, like on a Vista/Win 7 32 bit system with limited ram and running mem. hungry programs.

MarkOne November 6, 2009 03:04 PM

The problem is not the space, it's the speed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit (Post 283655)
Not to mention that most computers have disk space out the wazoo so who cares if you have a few gigs of page file?