Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 6, 2009, 06:11 PM
Rookie

I've been running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with 4GBs of RAM for over two months now. I disabled the page file the very day I installed the operating system. Today was the very first day I received a problem. I got a message that popped up recommending that I close Firefox in order to free some memory. I immediately check task manager and found I was using 90% of my RAM. I had laptop running for a week straight with every day heavy use. But I think there was just a memory leak, possibly caused by Rainmeter since I recently started using it. I restarted my laptop and I'm back at my regular 1.5GB (after starting up all my regular programs).

I run some resource hungry programs, but even if you don't... I really wouldn't disable the page file unless you have at least 4GBs of RAM. XP might be able to get away with only 2 gigs. But still, rule of thumb is not to disable the page file with less than 4 gigs.

RAM is so cheap nowadays you could just buy some more if you need to.
Old November 6, 2009, 11:01 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

So, how are you guys testing speed? I really can not see any difference between having it and not besides running out of memory and throwing errors.
Old November 7, 2009, 09:21 AM
Rookie

It's simple to understand, RAM is much faster to read and write to than a harddrive. Obviously not needing to read and write to a harddrive will speed things up (and extend the life of the harddrive). Whether you notice or not, there is an increase in speed.
Old November 7, 2009, 10:44 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 View Post
It's simple to understand, RAM is much faster to read and write to than a harddrive. Obviously not needing to read and write to a harddrive will speed things up (and extend the life of the harddrive). Whether you notice or not, there is an increase in speed.
If you think researching and implementing tweaks that produce no noticeable performance increase is a good use of your time you just go right ahead. I have better things to do with my life.
Old November 10, 2009, 10:48 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit
If you think researching and implementing tweaks that produce no noticeable performance increase is a good use of your time you just go right ahead.
Yes, the more unnoticeable tweaks you implement, the more noticeable they become. The bigger importance of this tweak is to lower harddrive activity, thereby extending the life of your harddrive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit
I have better things to do with my life
Like joining discussions to start debates on topics that you're largely unfamiliar with?
Old November 11, 2009, 04:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 View Post
Yes, the more unnoticeable tweaks you implement, the more noticeable they become. The bigger importance of this tweak is to lower harddrive activity, thereby extending the life of your harddrive.
yes and we have a winner i have found this too the more you do the better you are ( and almost all of the tweaks take less then 5 mins to do all of them so really does it take that long? and i think there very noticeable. jmo not facts
Old November 11, 2009, 05:33 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I have already explained the failure in your thinking. If you had anything constructive to add you would post some real facts instead of slinging mud.
Old November 11, 2009, 11:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am not slinging mud i am just saying thats how i feel my machine runs much better when i have done the tweaks even on a system with just hdd. But of course you don't use all of the tweaks on a hd. jmo not facts
Old November 11, 2009, 11:33 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I use the three approach method:

1 - have as much memory installed as the O/S can handle.
2 - set page file size to 150% of the max amount of memory installed.
3 - have two physical hard drives and set windoze to use a page file on each.
that way when windoze needs to page it'll use the least busy drive to do it.
Old November 11, 2009, 01:22 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Arrow .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
I am not slinging mud i am just saying thats how i feel my machine runs much better when i have done the tweaks even on a system with just hdd. But of course you don't use all of the tweaks on a hd. jmo not facts
My response was directed to 300 but your post slipped in between. Sorry for the confusion.