Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 4, 2009, 11:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Weird issue I have to heat a hot-dog and think about it. Time to go to the bat kitchen!

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old November 4, 2009, 03:39 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Nope. You can install Windows 7 upgrade with a clean install no problem. I just did it, as you can't upgrade from 32-bit XP to 64-bit 7, and that's what I wanted to do, dammit! <laugh>

Follow this tutorial: Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version - Windows 7 Forums

I did, and it worked like a charm, though I did in fact have to use the registry workaround (see option 3). Also, make VERY SURE you pay attention to the "do not check the automatically activate windows when I'm online" part when you install.

GL!
Old November 8, 2009, 07:42 AM
MVP

Hey there Vulcanrider - by the way, i used to have a Maxim 750 - same year the vulcan came out) I seem to have this beat now. I did it with a clean install of Vista, but did not let it activate, then a custom install of 7 over it. Then went back and deleted windows old. So far so good.
Old November 8, 2009, 09:14 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Good stuff! How are you liking it so far? I personally found it was fairly easy to get used to, with more nice changes (such as the preview screens of open pages when scrolling over a program on the taskbar) than not-so-good ones (such as the new start menu setup). Then again, I was coming from XP, not Vista, so you may already be used to a lot of the changes and just enjoying the speed increase (from what I hear).

The Maxims were cute bikes too :) Unfortunately, I had to winterize mine this weekend...<sigh> I guess I should be thankful I had it out this long...
Old November 8, 2009, 06:21 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

This is another site to check...probably the same guide as above but good site

Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows: Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media

Old November 8, 2009, 09:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

oops didn't read all of the posts just the first 2-3
if that is just an upgrade from vista to win 7 and you have the win 7 key download windows 7 and use the key for your upgrade . ( from what I remember) every one of the windows 7 are the same ( except for the x86 x64bing the only difference) but they are locked/unlocked by the key used
Old November 9, 2009, 08:42 AM
MVP

Hey Vulcan500rider - yes I like 7 - been using it in RC form for quite a long time now - and it was problem free. That was a big part of my disappointment at the finicky upgrade, but it seems to be OK now. Next question - how to upgrade my main gamer from RC candidate to 7? I really don't want to install over vista again. I do have a copy of XP with an install left on it, but it is an ancient XP that needs to load drivers from drive A - and I didn't put a floppy in my gamer build that last time. Hmmmm.... got a couple months to think about it though.
Old November 9, 2009, 09:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadzilla View Post
Hey Vulcan500rider - yes I like 7 - been using it in RC form for quite a long time now - and it was problem free. That was a big part of my disappointment at the finicky upgrade, but it seems to be OK now. Next question - how to upgrade my main gamer from RC candidate to 7? I really don't want to install over vista again. I do have a copy of XP with an install left on it, but it is an ancient XP that needs to load drivers from drive A - and I didn't put a floppy in my gamer build that last time. Hmmmm.... got a couple months to think about it though.
there are places that have all the driver packs and udates that you can just add rto your win xop and burn a whole cd place is MSFN - Microsoft Software Forum Network that is where I go to find update\ driver packs for unattended xp or windows 7 there is allot of information there
Old November 9, 2009, 10:13 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I'm still trying to get an ISO image out of the .exe file that I downloaded from Microsoft or Digital River. I've followed the guide on doing this to a "T" and still can't figure this out. I wan't to do a clean install of W7 Professional 64 bit from Vista 32 bit.
Old November 9, 2009, 01:08 PM
MVP

Yes, I too gave up on trying to get 64 bit from a 32 bit Vista upgrade. The heck with it, I can only stand doing this so many times lol - at least it works now. Too bad one of my 4 gigs is wasted, but such is life in the 32 bit lane.