Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 1, 2009, 12:53 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Norton Internet Security 2009

Anyone who owns Norton 2009 knows by now that it is not compatible with Win 7. I just found out today that you can download an update for 2009 to make it compatible with Win 7, here's the best part it's a free upgrade to Norton 2010 for up to six months or whatever is left on your 09 license.

I know there are alot of Norton haters out there, and I used to be one of them, but the latest generation of Norton is pretty damn near perfect.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg

Old November 1, 2009, 12:57 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Figured I should post the link to where you can download the update. Use manual selection to chose Norton 2009 if your already using Win 7 as your 09 disk won't even load in the new windows.

Home & Home Office Support

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg

Old November 1, 2009, 01:47 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'm not a fan of paying for my anti-virus, but it's all personal preference I think.
Old November 1, 2009, 01:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayah View Post
I'm not a fan of paying for my anti-virus, but it's all personal preference I think.
In quality of protection you get what you don't pay for as well.
Old November 1, 2009, 01:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Microsoft Security Essentials does pretty good so far....
Old November 1, 2009, 02:32 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
In quality of protection you get what you don't pay for as well.
MSE, AVG Free, Avira Antivir, Clam Antivirus, Comodo Antivirus and Firewall are all free but provide good protection.
Old November 1, 2009, 03:39 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not a fan of anti-vir because of the splash screen telling you to upgrade to premium everytime you start it up. I'm a huge fan of AVG free and the newest edition is the best by far. Haven't tried the others but I've heard nothing but good things about them. I choose Norton 2009 primarily because it's easy to use and I wanted something efficient for my mothers computer. Plus I got it on sale at Future Shop for 39.99 for 3 PC's which is a good deal in my books since it retails for 79.99 usually.

I also like that I can register login information for all my commonly visited websites and I that I can register my credit cards for extra protection when shopping online. Sounds like I'm turning into a Norton fanboy,lol.

Anyway the main reason for the post was to remind anyone who stopped using their Norton '09 (like me) because of Win 7 compatibilty issues, that a fix as been released.

Old November 1, 2009, 04:05 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelt View Post
I'm not a fan of anti-vir because of the splash screen telling you to upgrade to premium everytime you start it up. I'm a huge fan of AVG free and the newest edition is the best by far. Haven't tried the others but I've heard nothing but good things about them. I choose Norton 2009 primarily because it's easy to use and I wanted something efficient for my mothers computer. Plus I got it on sale at Future Shop for 39.99 for 3 PC's which is a good deal in my books since it retails for 79.99 usually.

I also like that I can register login information for all my commonly visited websites and I that I can register my credit cards for extra protection when shopping online. Sounds like I'm turning into a Norton fanboy,lol.

Anyway the main reason for the post was to remind anyone who stopped using their Norton '09 (like me) because of Win 7 compatibilty issues, that a fix as been released.
How's the CPU-usage nowadays and scan speed?
Old November 1, 2009, 04:37 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

CPU usage is minimal even during a scan I've rarely seen the CPU above 7%. I also really like the "norton insight". It lists all the trusted files on your computer in order to speed up scan time and it will only scan files that are new or have been changed since the last scan again result faster scan time.

Old November 1, 2009, 05:01 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Firewall, Antivirus, Antispam: ESET Smart Security Has It All

Even better than Norton, and cheaper!