Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 1, 2009, 05:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You don't get what you pay for in the anti-virus world. I would not use/trust Norton or McAfee. Kaspersky and BitDefender are worth paying for. I get free F-Secure from Cogeco and it is ranked alot higher than Norton and McAfee as well. AVG is OK, but it does miss alot.

My personal feeling is that if you don't go to places you shouldn't online and click on any random links then you really don't need anti-virus anyways. I have run months on end with none and my PC never even had a sniffle.
Old November 1, 2009, 06:54 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

That ESET looks good really good. Thanks for the link I'll have to give it a go after my Norton subcription expires in a few months.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg

Old November 1, 2009, 07:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I use Kaspersky..Way better than what I had with Norton. Maybe I'll go back to Norton..
Old November 1, 2009, 07:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

ESET and Kaspersky are definitely my choices of anti-viruses I'd buy. I typically run NOD32, but I don't currently run anything on my PC. And well on my parents and brothers I just put in MS Security Essentials.

And then on my grandparents and other peoples, I usually put Avast Home (MSE wasn't out yet).

To be honest though, I think XP is the underlying problem for viruses and what not. Vista and 7 are far more secure at the core IMO. And like b1lk1 said, stick to sites you know are safe. Don't go to some random popup ad, or some URL that looks retarded. I also run OpenDNS with malware and stuff blocked, so that stops quite a few nasty sites too.
Old November 1, 2009, 07:52 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
ESET and Kaspersky are definitely my choices of anti-viruses I'd buy. I typically run NOD32, but I don't currently run anything on my PC. And well on my parents and brothers I just put in MS Security Essentials.

And then on my grandparents and other peoples, I usually put Avast Home (MSE wasn't out yet).

To be honest though, I think XP is the underlying problem for viruses and what not. Vista and 7 are far more secure at the core IMO. And like b1lk1 said, stick to sites you know are safe. Don't go to some random popup ad, or some URL that looks retarded. I also run OpenDNS with malware and stuff blocked, so that stops quite a few nasty sites too.
XP isn't that bad when it comes to security. It's just bad at stock. More problems are caused by user-habits and lack of user knowledge than anything else, if only there was some way to give them knowledge and for them to use it..
Old November 2, 2009, 05:07 AM
MVP

Norton...eccckkk just sent a shiver down my back!

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy
Old November 2, 2009, 09:14 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayah View Post
XP isn't that bad when it comes to security. It's just bad at stock. More problems are caused by user-habits and lack of user knowledge than anything else, if only there was some way to give them knowledge and for them to use it..
i know someone who got his first pc a few months back. The only thing he knew was what some friend had taught him, the Internet.

A few hours later, he phoned his friend and told him the computer had stopped working.

He had 51 virusses and lots of spyware.

Guess where he had gone on the Internet?

Now, he's known as Mr. 51

Ego cogito, ergo deus non est.