Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 1, 2009, 10:22 AM
Top Prospect

Default How to change the letter drive of the system disk?

Hello,
I did a full re-installation of XP. I did kept the disks that was connected on the second SATA controller (back up paging etc…) and did a RAID on the Intel controller again. This time, the letter for the system disk is I. The letter C is not taking???
I will like to know how to change the letter I to C, Computer Management can not change the letter of the operating system.

Is that could be a problem when I will install software that are looking automatically for C (except for software that allow to change drive)?

Is there a safe way to change letter of a disk with the OS?
3X 360 GB Seagate No RAID (on Marvell controller for Apps, Paging and Back up)
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS Dual DVI- 2x Monitors 24'' 1920 x 1200
Water Cooling, Ultra X3 1000 Watts PWS.
ASUS Laptop G2S T7700 @ 2.4GHz
Old November 1, 2009, 12:45 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hrm,

I don't know about RAID setups on Windows, but I ran into a problem with the boot volume not being "C" and I needed to change it. I found this article from Microsoft that did exactly what I needed: How to restore the system/boot drive letter in Windows. If that isn't what you need, you could take a look at this: How to change drive letter assignments in Windows XP. And finally, this might be useful instead: The system partition may be assigned a drive letter other than the one that you expect when you install Windows XP, excluding the part where it tell you that you need to re-install again...

Good luck!
Old November 1, 2009, 01:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Make sure you have no storage devices plugged into usb ports or card readers connected to usb headers on your motherboard when installing windows. This happened to me before and discovered that it was my internal card reader connected to a usb header on my motherboard that was causing my problem. It labeled my C: drive as H:

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old November 1, 2009, 02:21 PM
Top Prospect

Thank you for the info. After reading, the only solution is to re-install with my USB card reader not connected and install the other SATA (MARVELL) controller after Windows is install. When F6, I install the two drivers (INTEL and MARVELL) right away. Now I know!. Maybe it still time to reinstall before I load everything else on it...
3X 360 GB Seagate No RAID (on Marvell controller for Apps, Paging and Back up)
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS Dual DVI- 2x Monitors 24'' 1920 x 1200
Water Cooling, Ultra X3 1000 Watts PWS.
ASUS Laptop G2S T7700 @ 2.4GHz