Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 6, 2007, 09:03 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

what I care about outgoing for anyways? As long as you keep you pc clean you should have no probs.

AdaWareSE, SpybotS&D1.5, SpywareGuard and Spywareblaster FTW!

Join our Folding@Home team!
Old September 6, 2007, 01:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Enaberif. Here are the results of the "shields up" test on my home computer. Either my computer is very secure or this test is a joke. I have been using the same security configuration on my last 3 machines including this one. Full Norton suite(with firewall properly configured) and spybot search and destroy to get rid of spyware and tracking cookies. I admit that Norton is a resource hog, but I have not yet had to deal with viruses, trojans or worms. When I'm home gaming, I disconnect from the net and shut down/disable my security suite. When gaming online, I disable all security services except for my firewall to save resources. It seems all I hear is norton this...norton that. I guess I'm one of the only people that has never had a problem. Btw, I even surf the infamous picture site that is known for being totally infested with all sorts of nasties occaisionally. Just to make sure my security is up to snuff.

Cheers all.

This was the result for file sharing ports.
Shields UP! is checking YOUR computer's Internet
connection security . . . currently located at IP:

Please Stand By. . .

Attempting connection to your computer. . .
Shields UP! is now attempting to contact the Hidden Internet Server within your PC. It is likely that no one has told you that your own personal computer may now be functioning as an Internet Server with neither your knowledge nor your permission. And that it may be serving up all or many of your personal files for reading, writing, modification and even deletion by anyone, anywhere, on the Internet!

Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!
One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.

Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.

This was the result for common ports
----------------------------------------------------------------------
GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2007-09-06 at 18:22:20
Results from scan of ports: 0, 21-23, 25, 79, 80, 110, 113,
119, 135, 139, 143, 389, 443, 445,
1002, 1024-1030, 1720, 5000
0 Ports Open
0 Ports Closed
26 Ports Stealth
---------------------
26 Ports Tested
ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.
TruStealth: PASSED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,
- NO unsolicited packets were received,
- NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

this was the result for all service ports
GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2007-09-06 at 18:25:09
Results from scan of ports: 0-1055
0 Ports Open
0 Ports Closed
1056 Ports Stealth
---------------------
1056 Ports Tested
ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.
TruStealth: PASSED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,
- NO unsolicited packets were received,
- NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

The result for messenger spam was nada.
Windows Messenger
"Spam Yourself"
Test Page

Messenger Spam?

Yes, unfortunately . . . Microsoft Windows Messenger Spam.

I will not repeat, here, the extensive information that appears on our "
Shoot The Messenger" page. If you are not already familiar with Windows Messenger Spam (Windows' latest security annoyance and concern) our "Shoot The Messenger" page provides the entire story and offers another of my free, tiny Windows utilities to assist with managing the problem. Please check it out.
You are presumably here because you already understand the problem created by Microsoft's various servers that are open and running, by default, on port 135. So you would either like to verify that Windows Messenger spam can not reach the system you are currently using, or you are just curious and want to play around with it a bit receiving Windows Messenger packets from someone you trust before returning to your regular, secure, and Messenger-Spam-free environment.
Top of Form 1
So . . . Spam Yourself:

The button below will send four small UDP-protocol Internet packets to port 135 of your computer, currently located at IP address "74.102.---.--". Four packets are sent in case one or more are lost along the way. Being UDP protocol, their individual delivery is not verifiable.

Each packet will contain the text appearing in the field below. You can leave it as it is, or customize it to anything you desire:

If your Internet service provider (ISP), personal computer system, personal firewall, NAT router, or network is not currently blocking UDP traffic into port 135, and if you are running a version of Windows with the Windows Messenger Internet server enabled and listening for incoming UDP messages on port 135, a number of "Messenger Service" pop-up dialog boxes will immediately appear on your system's screen.
Bottom of Form 1
Whether solicited (by you here) or not, these events are completely harmless to your computer. Simply acknowledge the receipt of each one, dismissing the dialog by clicking the "OK" button.
Note that you can also send these Messenger notes to yourself from any of the standard ShieldsUP!! Services panels like the one below. Simply provide a message in the field before clicking the "Messenger Spam" label. (You will then be taken to this page as if the fill-in field had been blank.)

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old September 6, 2007, 05:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well with router and OS firewall I am 100% secure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old October 5, 2007, 07:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

lol I use the old sygate and Peer Guardian 2 and believe it or not nothing gets past unless I let it I like it because it uses very little resources Norton as well as allot of other software firewalls uses huge resources
Old October 5, 2007, 11:05 PM
Allstar

I passed as well ... Yay
Old October 8, 2007, 06:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well used the shields up scan thing and all tests passed even with windows firewall off. I am using a router though.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old December 20, 2007, 06:36 PM
Rookie

I use Zone Alarm Internet Security suite which includes a firewall as tool for protecting the computer, since I don't trust the firewall that Windows includes in its system.
It worked fine and haven't caused me any problem to worry about.
Old December 21, 2007, 09:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Haven't tried the shield test thing but with a router and Kas Internet Security 7 (which I don't even have on all the time) I am sure I am fairly well protected.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old January 6, 2008, 10:03 AM
MVP

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Yeah, with a router in place, all you are really worried about is "outgoing" traffic, and even the windoze firewall handles that now.

Yep,use a Dlink dgl4300 not in wireless mode, super
anti spyware,avg,spy bot.
Mushkin #997007
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte GTX 660
Seasonic X-660
Corsair 540 Cube
Noctua case fans
Intel Speed Demon x 2

using Prime 95 27.9