Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 25, 2009, 02:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Loaded Up W7 HP On My SSD....

So, I'm now running W7 HP on my Intel 80GB G2 Drive....I did notice that the Rig Boots into Windows "really fast" now....very nice. A few "bugs" and annoyances of run into with W7:

1. No included Email Program....that really chaps my hide as I assumed that it would come with Windows Mail (as did Vista)..so..before I formatted and re-installed I saved my emails along with my contacts only to find no Program to "export" the data to...damn it!!!
Other than going out and purchasing Outlook to go along with my daughters Office Home and student...any recommendations for a "cheaper" standalone email program that is easy to set-up (with a wizard)???
I really cannot believe MS didn't include this!!

2. My 3 yr old Brother MFC 5440CN Printer does work..installed "bare-bones" driver via "add new printer" feature and "search" for Drivers, but no Control Center features for scanning etc.

Thanks guys.....

Old October 25, 2009, 04:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
So, I'm now running W7 HP on my Intel 80GB G2 Drive....I did notice that the Rig Boots into Windows "really fast" now....very nice. A few "bugs" and annoyances of run into with W7:

1. No included Email Program....that really chaps my hide as I assumed that it would come with Windows Mail (as did Vista)..so..before I formatted and re-installed I saved my emails along with my contacts only to find no Program to "export" the data to...damn it!!!
Other than going out and purchasing Outlook to go along with my daughters Office Home and student...any recommendations for a "cheaper" standalone email program that is easy to set-up (with a wizard)???
I really cannot believe MS didn't include this!!

2. My 3 yr old Brother MFC 5440CN Printer does work..installed "bare-bones" driver via "add new printer" feature and "search" for Drivers, but no Control Center features for scanning etc.

Thanks guys.....
If you're using a legit version of the OS you can dl/install windows live mail which (in spite of sounding like it's some form of webmail) is Microsoft's replacement for OE/Windows Mail and operates as a stand alone pop client.

Setup is damn near flawless. It's even got the major ISP pop/smtp servers in a database somewhere so you don't even have to enter in that info.

That said.... do you really need a stand-alone pop client? Webmail clients have come a long way, and the majority of them (like gmail) have the option to act as a pop client for third party emails.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 25, 2009, 05:00 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I moved away from MS mail, eons ago so I may be wrong....but when I crossed over to (free as in beer) Thunderbird it sucked in all the MS previous data via its wizard. Thunderbird + FF + Mozbackup = no matter the system my email and browsing experience is the same whether it be XP, Vista or W7....and its FAST and EASY to backup / restore ALL my data to / from secondary storage.

YMMV but that is what I have been using for years now ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 25, 2009, 07:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Microsoft did away with most of the included software if an equivalent could be found at Essentials - Windows Live. I think that is a good thing because I never used Windows Photo Gallery, Parental Control, or Windows Mail. (although my parents' machine uses Windows Mail).
Old October 25, 2009, 10:11 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I've posted this before, this is where you go to get drivers for harware not included on the Win7 dvd.

Microsoft Update Catalog
Old October 25, 2009, 10:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks guys....I also noticed in W7 that windows appear to briefly "jerk" or appear "jerky" when opening or closing...Googled it and found other folks having this same issue...
Windows 7 jerky... - AVForums.com
Its like a slight hesitation when closing a window....not as smooth as vista in that regard.

Old October 25, 2009, 10:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yup as other have said, Windows Live Essentials (it's in Windows Update for that matter), is MS's replacement to Photo Gallery, Mail, Movie Maker, etc. I think they have done this to prevent the issues the EU has with MS including software. So now it's all optional programs installed at the users request.

I don't have any issue with it since I typically install Windows Live Messenger, so all those other programs are in the selection while I do so. I use Windows Live Mail to check all my Hotmail/Live email accounts since I personally hate their web interface. And Windows Live Photo Gallery is my default viewer too, works perfectly. And can even show my RAW pictures after installing the Canon RAW Codec.
Old October 25, 2009, 11:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Just ran Vantage and although my Score wasn't too bad (expecting a few k more)...the first 2 graphics Benches ran with a consistent (every 2 sec) hitch or jerk...brutal really...could be a Driver issue I suppose...I thought the latest 191.07 Driver for W7 was the one...dammit...I guess all I can go now is simply try uninstalling and re-installing the Driver....figured with this "hitch" when I close Windows it would likely happen in Vantage!

Old October 25, 2009, 11:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

you mean windows 7 doesnt have tons of bloatware (imo). Thank gawd!
Asus p6x58d-e / i7 930 @ 4ghz / G.skill 1600mhz 2x3gb 9-9-9-24 / Corsair TX750 / XFX HD 6850 1GB x2 @ 870/1070/ Coolermaster HAF 932 / Noctua nh12-up / Western Digital 500g Caviar black /Western Digital 1TB Caviar black 60Gb/ Seagate 7200.11 500g / OCZ Vertex 3 SSD / Samsung 2253BW / G5 / MX518 /

Old October 25, 2009, 12:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ I wouldn't necessarily call one stand alone email Program "Bloatware"....yes I have hotmail gmail etc etc...but when I'm at home I prefer not to use those Programs.....