Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Loaded Up W7 HP On My SSD.... (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/24775-loaded-up-w7-hp-my-ssd.html)

rjbarker October 25, 2009 02:02 AM

Loaded Up W7 HP On My SSD....

So, I'm now running W7 HP on my Intel 80GB G2 Drive....I did notice that the Rig Boots into Windows "really fast" now....very nice. A few "bugs" and annoyances of run into with W7:

1. No included Email Program....that really chaps my hide as I assumed that it would come with Windows Mail (as did Vista)..so..before I formatted and re-installed I saved my emails along with my contacts only to find no Program to "export" the data to...damn it!!!
Other than going out and purchasing Outlook to go along with my daughters Office Home and student...any recommendations for a "cheaper" standalone email program that is easy to set-up (with a wizard)???
I really cannot believe MS didn't include this!!

2. My 3 yr old Brother MFC 5440CN Printer does work..installed "bare-bones" driver via "add new printer" feature and "search" for Drivers, but no Control Center features for scanning etc.

Thanks guys.....

sswilson October 25, 2009 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjbarker (Post 276895)
So, I'm now running W7 HP on my Intel 80GB G2 Drive....I did notice that the Rig Boots into Windows "really fast" now....very nice. A few "bugs" and annoyances of run into with W7:

1. No included Email Program....that really chaps my hide as I assumed that it would come with Windows Mail (as did Vista)..so..before I formatted and re-installed I saved my emails along with my contacts only to find no Program to "export" the data to...damn it!!!
Other than going out and purchasing Outlook to go along with my daughters Office Home and student...any recommendations for a "cheaper" standalone email program that is easy to set-up (with a wizard)???
I really cannot believe MS didn't include this!!

2. My 3 yr old Brother MFC 5440CN Printer does work..installed "bare-bones" driver via "add new printer" feature and "search" for Drivers, but no Control Center features for scanning etc.

Thanks guys.....

If you're using a legit version of the OS you can dl/install windows live mail which (in spite of sounding like it's some form of webmail) is Microsoft's replacement for OE/Windows Mail and operates as a stand alone pop client.

Setup is damn near flawless. It's even got the major ISP pop/smtp servers in a database somewhere so you don't even have to enter in that info.

That said.... do you really need a stand-alone pop client? Webmail clients have come a long way, and the majority of them (like gmail) have the option to act as a pop client for third party emails.

AkG October 25, 2009 05:00 AM

I moved away from MS mail, eons ago so I may be wrong....but when I crossed over to (free as in beer) Thunderbird it sucked in all the MS previous data via its wizard. Thunderbird + FF + Mozbackup = no matter the system my email and browsing experience is the same whether it be XP, Vista or W7....and its FAST and EASY to backup / restore ALL my data to / from secondary storage.

YMMV but that is what I have been using for years now ;)

frontier204 October 25, 2009 07:21 AM

Microsoft did away with most of the included software if an equivalent could be found at Essentials - Windows Live. I think that is a good thing because I never used Windows Photo Gallery, Parental Control, or Windows Mail. (although my parents' machine uses Windows Mail).

Squeetard October 25, 2009 10:11 AM

I've posted this before, this is where you go to get drivers for harware not included on the Win7 dvd.

Microsoft Update Catalog

rjbarker October 25, 2009 10:23 AM

Thanks guys....I also noticed in W7 that windows appear to briefly "jerk" or appear "jerky" when opening or closing...Googled it and found other folks having this same issue...
Windows 7 jerky... - AVForums.com
Its like a slight hesitation when closing a window....not as smooth as vista in that regard.

JD October 25, 2009 10:33 AM

Yup as other have said, Windows Live Essentials (it's in Windows Update for that matter), is MS's replacement to Photo Gallery, Mail, Movie Maker, etc. I think they have done this to prevent the issues the EU has with MS including software. So now it's all optional programs installed at the users request.

I don't have any issue with it since I typically install Windows Live Messenger, so all those other programs are in the selection while I do so. I use Windows Live Mail to check all my Hotmail/Live email accounts since I personally hate their web interface. And Windows Live Photo Gallery is my default viewer too, works perfectly. And can even show my RAW pictures after installing the Canon RAW Codec.

rjbarker October 25, 2009 11:26 AM

Just ran Vantage and although my Score wasn't too bad (expecting a few k more)...the first 2 graphics Benches ran with a consistent (every 2 sec) hitch or jerk...brutal really...could be a Driver issue I suppose...I thought the latest 191.07 Driver for W7 was the one...dammit...I guess all I can go now is simply try uninstalling and re-installing the Driver....figured with this "hitch" when I close Windows it would likely happen in Vantage!

BrianHanna October 25, 2009 11:39 AM

you mean windows 7 doesnt have tons of bloatware (imo). Thank gawd!

rjbarker October 25, 2009 12:13 PM

^^^^ I wouldn't necessarily call one stand alone email Program "Bloatware"....yes I have hotmail gmail etc etc...but when I'm at home I prefer not to use those Programs.....