Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 23, 2009, 01:03 PM
Rookie

Default Vista WMP crashes when playing audio files.

Whenever i try to play an audio file (whatever format) the player crashes right away. But movies work. I torrented Halo 2 and it required some heavy stuff to be done around the windows and im afraid i might have damaged something. So, what would make WMP possibly act like that?=
Old October 23, 2009, 01:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

WMP likes to die, it seems. I wouldn't think it has to do with your torrent.

You either need to do a repair install or you've got a hell of a lot of reading ahead of you.
Old October 23, 2009, 01:25 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
WMP likes to die, it seems. I wouldn't think it has to do with your torrent.

You either need to do a repair install or you've got a hell of a lot of reading ahead of you.
Repair - Ill try.
Reading - Nooooooo!

Edit: where can i find the repair option? WMP isnt in Programs and features. Thus reinstalling is not an option since i cant uninstall it. The Program Files WMP isnt much use either.
EDIT: and the torrent made me change things and privileges in System32 folders and such. Wus all kindsa warnings that i might damage my system and stuff.

Last edited by SadisticMonkey; October 23, 2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old October 23, 2009, 01:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Ummmmm....... why would a torrent need access to your system files?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 23, 2009, 01:57 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Ummmmm....... why would a torrent need access to your system files?
To modify dll files. I needed to modify them. Replace and all. Had to grant myself full access through properties and it warned me about me being able to cause damage.
Old October 23, 2009, 01:59 PM
Rookie

How do i repair WMP can some1 tell me pls!
Old October 23, 2009, 07:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadisticMonkey View Post
EDIT: and the torrent made me change things and privileges in System32 folders and such.
No offense but if a downloaded game is expecting you to modify important system files it's likely that the hackers / crackers are giving bunch of unwanted surprises along with the game.
I hope you know you're in for a LOT more problems than a crash-happy Windows Media Player. Your OS install is likely to self-destruct if you try to install any updates to Windows (if it doesn't bring itself down with viruses and the like).

If it was my computer, I'd zero-pass my hard drive and reinstall the OS, but I assume you don't want to do that...
Before we can help, you will have to undo all the damage that torrent has caused. If you went around replacing things in \System32\ I am certain that there are a lot more Windows features that are not working. Do you have a System Restore point from before you followed the instructions in the torrent, or will you be able to replace all the DLLs?
Old October 23, 2009, 09:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What were the instructions that came with the torrent? Post them here for us to see...

Also, the repair install requires the disc and won't be found in "add/remove programs" or whatever the hell MS is calling it this week.