Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 13, 2010, 12:53 PM
Rookie

How do i find out what my mobo cpu is? i really don't even know what they are:-) is there a place on the computer i can find out this info?
Al
Old April 13, 2010, 08:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

@manumuskin - you're running an HP from what I saw in a prior post from you? If so, find the full model number (not just the series) and try searching that in HP's web site. HP normally has detailed specs sheets for their computers. As an example, my HP's laptop number is L2105CA, but the front of it only says L2000 - on a desktop you'll be looking for a small label on the side, top, or back of the machine.

The other route you can go is download CPU-Z: CPUID
We can help you choose ram if you can post a screenshot of the CPU, Mainboard, and Memory tabs.
Old April 14, 2010, 05:41 AM
MVP

Good point frontier204. Nothing is as annoying as buying ram only to find that it runs at a reduced rate on your particular mobo. This happened to me once - mobo was Asus P5B and ram was Kingston hyperX 800, but only ran at 667 on that particular board. Checked it against the manual, and sure enough it was not on the QVL (Quality Vendor List). Mind you the QVL is pretty limited, the best bet is still a trusted review or somebody else you can trust who has done the same build as you. There are quite a few folks on here that I would trust for advice.
Old April 15, 2010, 03:43 PM
Rookie

ok i went to hp site and figured out how to get into the computer and get my cpu and all that stuff.here is what i found (sorry don't know how to do a scrren shot and i don't have internet on my laptop anyway)
SODIMM DDR-2 667MHz Kinston
Pentium (R) Dual Core CPU T4300 @ 2.10 GHz
I also have the serial and product number and product name.don't know as i should be putting those numbers on the internet.probably not what you need anyway.
I am assuming that kinston is a brand name of RAM and if i get the same type of Ram only in two 2 gig sticks it should be good for the computer.
Am I right in this assumption?
Thanks,
Al
Old April 16, 2010, 12:47 PM
MVP

Yep - two more gigs of Kingston 667 if you can still find it. Kinda rare now. Your CPU shouldn't actually care, I believe it is the motherboard itself that is limited as to what ram will run. Looks like you might want this: 1GB 667MHZ DDR2 NON-ECC CL5 DIMM FINAL SALE NO RETURNS - DirectCanada
if you have 4 ram slots, or get a 2 gig if you have only two ram slots.
Old April 16, 2010, 01:33 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

IMHO 4GB is ideal, I run 64 Bit Windows 7 and game fairly heavily, never pushed the 4GB limit yet 3.4GB has been the most ever used and that was with a number of things running.

My suggestion;
Dual Channel 4GB
Triple Channel 6GB (as opposed to 3GB)

And a 64Bit OS of course

Another Guy From Canada

Last edited by Snarl; April 16, 2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old April 22, 2010, 03:40 PM
Top Prospect

Running 4gb here smooth!
600W PSU OCZ
GIGABYTE MOBO
Old April 22, 2010, 11:48 PM
Rookie
F@H

Running it on 2GB and gaming runs pretty decently...although I do have an SSD so it might factor into why its performance is great regardless.
Old April 23, 2010, 03:39 PM
MVP
F@H

My dad is running it on an old Pentium D with 2gb of DDR1, and a crummy old maxtor pata drive, and it runs just fine.
Old April 23, 2010, 03:47 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakk18 View Post
Running it on 2GB and gaming runs pretty decently...although I do have an SSD so it might factor into why its performance is great regardless.
Same here. 2GB of ram w/ a 30GB Vertex. Seems to be working great so far.