Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 12, 2009, 05:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default File backup program

Hi all,

What do you use to back up your files locally? I have been using (err... barely tolerating) Norton Ghost 14 for file and image backup for the last year, but want to try something much less unresponsive / more intuitive. I want a file backup solution that I can run before doing something crazy with my main rig, and for weekly backup of my data.

My requirements:
  • Works with Vista 32. Vista 64, and will most likely work on Win7 64
  • Backs up any file(s) or folder(s) I choose (e.g. I do some programming so M$ solution skips a lot of my files)
  • Back up to external HDD or Windows network drive
  • Compression
  • Incremental backups (multiple backups of the same savegames or videos piles up quickly)
  • Should be able to restore backup to any computer (e.g. to perform restore after OS reinstall or changing rigs)
I would also like it to use a non-proprietary format for backups (e.g. ZIP) so I can switch without losing old backups. I am willing to buy a retail solution, but there should be a free Windows program that can do this well, since pybackpack and sbackup can do what I want in Linux.

What do you use to back up your data, and do you know any software that would fit my needs? I am currently testing out AceBackup (from the freeware gems sticky) but it makes 1 archive file per file to be backed up, and it would be horrible if it does that for all my old Eclipse workspaces...

Thanks
Old October 12, 2009, 05:36 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I bought the latest version of Acronis last week. I like it so far, but have not tried too much with it or actually tried a recovery. I did migrate from one disk to another with it no problems.

I had Acronis 2009 before (and Norton 14). So far I like the new Acronis the best.
Fold for team #54196
Old October 13, 2009, 05:38 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Yup.. Acronis Home is affordable and works well. The .TIB file extensions are proprietary i guess.. but it comes with a browser so you can navigate within your TIB files if you have the Acronis software installed.

Your backup requirements seem like something Windows Backup can easily handle though. It's not like the NTbackup of old (you can fully restore a rig by booting with the Vista DVD and pointing to a network share with your backup files as a restore point).
Old October 13, 2009, 05:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I love acronis, far easier to use than ghost.

I'm sorry july, I couldn't see you behind all that feruary.
Old October 13, 2009, 05:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I know Acronis goes on sale for $15-20 off every so often, so I'll wait for that to get the 2010 version. Thanks for letting me know Acronis works for you; Ghost has been giving me no end of troubles with frequent crashing, its attempt to use EVERY USB mass storage device as a backup location (causing errors if I turn on my printer or plug in my phone with no SD card in it).
@grinder - I like Complete PC backup (which is a drive image backup), but the files backup, at least on Vista's Backup and Restore Center, does not let you choose folders and will not back up most compiled programs (e.g. the EXEs of installers and patches I keep). The other issue is it wants you to back up ENTIRE DRIVES, so I see it trying to back up things like UT2004 texture files and Guild Wars's GW.DAT file.
Old October 16, 2009, 08:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i use the older version of acronis home, (i think it's something like true image home 10 or 11). Works great for me. I use to backup my personal data and outlook mail data to my remote nas. I would highly recommend it. Also if you use WD drives i think you can download a free copy of trueimage from WD site but it will only work with WD drives.

Old October 23, 2009, 05:42 AM
MVP

Default acronis is the way to go

if you have a seagate or western digital hard drive it is also free. each company has it on their website.

i am a beta tester for norton and acronis beats ghost hands down. ghost is yucky

cheers

rob123
Old December 16, 2009, 04:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

acronis well i just installed this to see if it's an easy run of things ( for clients there always asking so i thought you guys say it works great and easy to use ) not one chance would i tell my clients to buy this it's just so over bloated it took me a few mins to work out what was what there's no way a none computers user could use this they would be lost
I mean god forbid they call things buy a simple name maybe backup of system to image. there gotta a be a very simple way to do this so that clients can do it them self's not with this.
EDIT I need something that's a one click wonder for them and then i can just give them the disk they buy so they can boot and walk through the steps so i don't have to

Last edited by gingerbee; December 16, 2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old December 16, 2009, 06:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

well if you want one click then even the built in windows backup software won't do. You would probably need something like one of those maxtor or WD one touch backup drives. But i do agree acronis true image can be a bit daunting for the technically challenged.
Old December 16, 2009, 06:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

oh I mean these people know nothing about computers at all. ya thinking am going to have to go with a one touch back up like wd drive was just think that this was you know one simple step by step and looks like great software but not for the lame-in. I mean some of this people have get me to show them how to send an email. this software would blow them away it would take a week for there brains to recover ha ha