Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 27, 2009, 09:03 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

It is XP.

However, on the computer I have WiFi and wired LAN working without an issue. It is just Outlook that doesn't connect when use it over wireless.
Old September 27, 2009, 10:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Maybe try a repair? Save a backup of your emails and repair Outlook.
Old September 27, 2009, 10:45 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I use Outlook 2007 over Wifi, and never had to change a setting. Save your Outlook personal file, un-install then re-install while wireless. It may do the trick.
Old September 27, 2009, 12:14 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Done. No change.
Old September 27, 2009, 12:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
It is XP.

However, on the computer I have WiFi and wired LAN working without an issue. It is just Outlook that doesn't connect when use it over wireless.
Did you try changing the ssid?

My money's still on something security related based on the "catagory" of connection. If you can connect and surf via wi-fi and you can send email through the same router when you connect via ethernet cable then all of your ports are set correctly. I suppose it's possible to block the ports in the router for just the wireless connections, but it certainly wouldn't be the default.

The only possible difference is that either windows or office thinks that it's not a secure network and is blocking email over wi-fi.

__________________________________________________ ________

Are you running any security software? Might be a setting in there related to it as well. Try turning off any firewalls you have and see if that allows you to send email via wi-fi.

__________________________________________________ ________

How about your wireless connection port settings?

control panel (classic view) / network connections / right click on the wireless network connection / select properties / general tab / in the second box highlight "internet protocol (TCP/IP) / select properties / General tab / select "advanced" / options tab / Highlight "TCP/IP filtering" / select properties / ensure that "enable TCP/IP filtering (all adapters)" isn't enabled (the settings below only matter if that box is checked).

I doubt this is the issue as I'm pretty sure that it's global over both the wired and wireless connections but it wouldn't hurt to check.

__________________________________________________ __________________

Did you try setting up OE to see if it will work? That'll point directly to security settings in Office 2007 as the culprit if OE works and Outlook 2007 doesn't.

Office 2007 has a lot of funky filtering / security settings that many folks have been having issues with.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; September 27, 2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old September 27, 2009, 05:57 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

i suppose you can check your internet email settings. Edit your email account under outlook's "account settings" window. Bring up the "more settings..." button so the "internet email settings" window appears. Move to the connections tab and make sure that the only option selected is the "Connect using my local area network (LAN)" radio button.

If the above does not work, it would be curious if there is something strange going on with your Windows XP user's profile. Could you create a new user profile on your laptop and setup a POP3 account? See if it has the same strange symptoms when you launch Outlook over a wireless LAN connection.