Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 29, 2009, 08:10 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

for it's age, xp works superbly, that's the reason.

Ego cogito, ergo deus non est.
Old September 29, 2009, 09:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
It's 8 years old! Why won't people just let XP die in peace?!
Huh...can you imagine the cost if every single Government PC switched out OS's everytime there was something new??..Ha..I could just imagine the switching to Vista...then a yr later to W7...our Infomatics guys would be tearing their hair out!!!!
We're talking thousands and thousands of PC's within the DFO section of the Federal Gov't alone.
XP Professional will likely be around as the "Main OS" for Governmet entities for a few more years yet.

Old September 29, 2009, 10:11 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Huh...can you imagine the cost if every single Government PC switched out OS's everytime there was something new??..Ha..I could just imagine the switching to Vista...then a yr later to W7...our Infomatics guys would be tearing their hair out!!!!
We're talking thousands and thousands of PC's within the DFO section of the Federal Gov't alone.
XP Professional will likely be around as the "Main OS" for Governmet entities for a few more years yet.
I believe the US is doing Vista trials now though, which seems a bit pointless with Windows 7 right around the corner, but they'd never run an OS without at least 1 SP, probably 2 to ensure most security issues are solved.

Still I can't believe such high-security government stuff relies on Windows. You'd think they'd be using a hardened Linux distro.
Old September 29, 2009, 11:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yep...XP Pro....thats it...

Old September 29, 2009, 11:27 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
I believe the US is doing Vista trials now though, which seems a bit pointless with Windows 7 right around the corner, but they'd never run an OS without at least 1 SP, probably 2 to ensure most security issues are solved.

Still I can't believe such high-security government stuff relies on Windows. You'd think they'd be using a hardened Linux distro.
I'm sure they are smart enough to run Norton 360 on it, so there are no worries of hackers/malware!

If you have 4GB of RAM, I don't see why you'd bother with a 32bit OS. Any computer since Pentium 4 is capable of running 64bit, so if you have the RAM why not let your PC use it? When I'm making stuff in Hammer for Left 4 Dead and have to test it, I easily break 3GB of RAM between the two programs. Also, when running Steam, Windows Live Messenger, Winamp and TF2 I often see usage ~70% of my RAM (2.8GB of my 4GB). I can definitely see how someone use more than 3GB of RAM without using any professional level programs, especially when you consider how many programs most people have running in the background without even knowing.
Old September 29, 2009, 11:47 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRox View Post
I'm sure they are smart enough to run Norton 360 on it, so there are no worries of hackers/malware!

LOL! I see what you did there.
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Laptops: Dell XPS M1530 | Asus G74SX-DH71
Surface Pro 128GB
Old September 29, 2009, 11:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRox View Post

If you have 4GB of RAM, I don't see why you'd bother with a 32bit OS. Any computer since Pentium 4 is capable of running 64bit, so if you have the RAM why not let your PC use it? When I'm making stuff in Hammer for Left 4 Dead and have to test it, I easily break 3GB of RAM between the two programs. Also, when running Steam, Windows Live Messenger, Winamp and TF2 I often see usage ~70% of my RAM (2.8GB of my 4GB). I can definitely see how someone use more than 3GB of RAM without using any professional level programs, especially when you consider how many programs most people have running in the background without even knowing.
Right now with Cinema 4d, Photoshop, Firefox, Winamp, Mirc, Messenger AND Steam open of my 4.1gb showing total I have 2.6 available which is not even 2gb being used.
Old September 29, 2009, 11:57 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Right now with Cinema 4d, Photoshop, Firefox, Winamp, Mirc, Messenger AND Steam open of my 4.1gb showing total I have 2.6 available which is not even 2gb being used.
Okay. Now try rendering within C4D & PS at the same time. I bet RAM will get eaten up then.
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Laptops: Dell XPS M1530 | Asus G74SX-DH71
Surface Pro 128GB
Old September 29, 2009, 12:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal2Noise View Post
Okay. Now try rendering within C4D & PS at the same time. I bet RAM will get eaten up then.
Yes of course.

But I'm just saying because you have a crapload of software open does not mean your going to be eating a bunch of ram.
Old September 29, 2009, 12:24 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Enaberif is right....BUT there is a big difference between having programs "open" (and idle) and actually USING them. :)~

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr