Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 28, 2009, 10:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Obviously my preference for my Primary Rig is Vista 64 Bit (will be Windows 7 64 Bit in the near future)..My second Rig has only 4GB RAM and does more rely on me doing a bunch of "business related" work on thier..that one is XP 32 Bit Professional.

For everyones info, one of the largest "users" of PC's in this country is the Federal Gov't. Presently within Transport Canada and DFO you will only find XP Professional 32 Bit....we just recieved 2 new Laptops onboard the ship here, both with nice little Vista stickers on the Case but with XP Professional installed....I would imagine it will be a very long time yet before we see the "massive" change over..

Quote:
lol I love you too rjbarker It's more that the 650i I had left a bad taste in my mouth, so I don't really like NVIDIA chipsets anymore. And well they die on a fair number of people, or at least cause some sort of trouble.
Yep..as soon as that Board dies I'll immediately PM Enaberif (I'll throw you onthe PM as well)...

Quote:
I hate you guys! This whole debate of x86 vs x64 has made me sit on the edge of the seat...and now my western omelette is cold! UGGGGHHHHHH.
Bojangles - you'll have to start over and go with a Spanish Omelette

Last edited by rjbarker; September 28, 2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old September 28, 2009, 12:43 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I would go with a 64-bit OS with any kind of new build at this point. Even if you're building a system with 2GB of ram right now, in the years coming with more 64-bit apps and more memory usage you'd have to get a new OS to make use of a 3GB+ upgrade.
Old September 28, 2009, 02:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

We live in a forced consumer market.

What the manufacturers want us to run we run whether we need to or not simply because people believe that what they say is best for them when in a lot of cases its not.

There really is no need for 64bit software as we still haven't exceed the usage of 32bit software nor have we exceeded the need for more than 3gb of ram. But since manufacturers build systems like that people will buy them.

I still run a e8600 with 4gb of memory and the only reason I'm using XP x64 is I tried it out as a test bed and just stuck with it because its been good.
Old September 28, 2009, 03:08 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Enaberif....If you have never run into the 32bit wall....you haven't run memory hogs like Photoshop w/ big ass raw files! I'm always running into that foolish limit and that is why the next system upgrade will be to AT LEAST 8GB....maybe even 12GB to run CS4 64bit properly.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 28, 2009, 03:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Enaberif....If you have never run into the 32bit wall....you haven't run memory hogs like Photoshop w/ big ass raw files! I'm always running into that foolish limit and that is why the next system upgrade will be to AT LEAST 8GB....maybe even 12GB to run CS4 64bit properly.
Anybody who is a regular on this site I'm sorry is excluded from most of my comments due to the nature most of are always constantly or actually using our machines like they are intended.

Yes I'm aware of how much memory photoshop and raw files can take up.
Old September 28, 2009, 04:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

32bit is mostly used for "Normal" people.

64bit is for the geeks that often troll/spam in computer hardware sites
Old September 28, 2009, 06:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ Exactly...funny..even on our Coast Guard Science Ships running Memory Pig Applications (I'm talking Computers with Software for running underwater ROVS . Water Sampling equipent etc etc they still use XP Professional 32 Bit.....perhaps one day the move will come....

Old September 28, 2009, 06:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Speed View Post
I would go with a 64-bit OS with any kind of new build at this point. Even if you're building a system with 2GB of ram right now, in the years coming with more 64-bit apps and more memory usage you'd have to get a new OS to make use of a 3GB+ upgrade.
If I was doing a build for someone that actually wanted to have 2gb of ram and a 64bit OS then I'd cut out something else to make 4gb of ram fit the budget.

It really does not make sense otherwise.

By the time the person goes and upgrades the ram it'll cost 3x more than what they could have paid for it originally.
Old September 28, 2009, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
If I was doing a build for someone that actually wanted to have 2gb of ram and a 64bit OS then I'd cut out something else to make 4gb of ram fit the budget.

It really does not make sense otherwise.

By the time the person goes and upgrades the ram it'll cost 3x more than what they could have paid for it originally.
But will that person NEED 4gb or will 2gb suffice for them?

Why is it people figure EVERYONE needs 4gb?

Isn't one of the selling points to Windows 7 the fact it has LOWER requirements hardware wise?

If all someone does is web surf and email.. 2gb is PLENTY.
Old September 28, 2009, 07:48 PM
Rookie

Then why the 64-bit OS?