Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 20, 2009, 08:08 AM
MVP

Default BSOD help!

It just so happens when my g/f used my computer, something went wrong :P I finally got Vista to load into windows by disabling all startup programs through MSConfig in safe mode. But when ever I run any program, I get the BSOD.

I get the SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION BSOD.

I followed the instructions here: Event ID 10 is logged in the Application log after you install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 or Windows Server 2008 but to no eval it did fix anything.

I'd rather not reformat and was wondering if something could help me.

"The peppers fired a warning shot. Some were so loud and echoing that I was later told a few folks in
other aisles had ducked, fearing that someone was robbing the store and firing off a shotgun."
Old September 20, 2009, 08:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Could try doing a Vista repair install....

With my limited (1 year) experience with Vista sometimes it seems to be the best option.
Old September 20, 2009, 09:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I second that do a repair or you could try the load last good configuration, it sounds like to me that she ( possibly) might have installed something but either way try the last good configuration and if that doesn't work put the disk in and reboot and do the repair install you might have a virus on there if there are some disks out there that scan and remove virus's from dos that run off of disk
Old September 20, 2009, 09:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

By the way what is the error message you get from the BSOD?
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION BSOD - Google Search

Last edited by Shadowmeph; September 20, 2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old September 20, 2009, 04:55 PM
MVP

Well a system restore is out because I disabled it. And I did try to repair it, but funny enough, Vista detected there was nothing to repair! Looks like I just might have to reformat. :(

"The peppers fired a warning shot. Some were so loud and echoing that I was later told a few folks in
other aisles had ducked, fearing that someone was robbing the store and firing off a shotgun."
Old September 20, 2009, 06:23 PM
MVP

Oddly enough I did a system restore and it worked. I thought I had disabled system restore, but luckily I didn't. I have my windows back :) Thank the Gods for system restore!
Thanks for help guys!

I think what ended up happening was a system file got corrupted when my APC battery backup unit decided to not work. My g/f was on the computer and she said the battery backup was making clicking noises and then the computer shutdown. Then she would boot the system up and the same thing kept happening.