Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 18, 2012, 11:30 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I use Hiren's Boot CD, it's got pretty much everything you might need. Download Hiren?s BootCD 15.2 | HBCD Fan & Discussion Platform

Edit: Here's the direct link, their download page is very misleading. http://www.hirensbootcd.org/files/Hi...ootCD.15.2.zip
Old December 18, 2012, 12:31 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Hirens is one of my all time favorite disks I almost always take it when I have a tech call :)

Comp1 (Mine) : ASUS P9X79 LE, 3960X, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1333, PNY 770 4GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB, OCZ Vertex3 480GB, 600GB VelociRaptor, Corsair 1000HX, Cool Master Cosmos 2

Comp2 (Wife's) : ASUS Sabertooth P67, i7 2700K, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866, 1TB HD, 2TB HD, EVGA 660, Corsair 1000HX, HAF 922

Comp3 (Kids) : ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2700K, 8GB 1866 GSkill, Gigabyte 770, Crucial M4 120GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB,1TB WD Black, Antec 850W, Antec 120
Old December 18, 2012, 03:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I also have to say Hiren's. I have it boot from USB and it works great.

Old December 18, 2012, 04:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Good thing this thread got revived, didn't realize there was a new version of Hiren's out. I use it at work quite a bit.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old December 19, 2012, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

Are there utilities on this disc to give me access to old windows install folders on drives I'm trying to clean up? I keep getting the "can't delete file in use" error. I suppose it's best to just wipe the drive clean and start new, but it might be useful to know how someday.
Old December 19, 2012, 06:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

One of the programs I use off of Hiren's is Revo uninstaller. Seems to work pretty well, just do not use it on antivirus programs.
Code:
<firebane> slightly used

Old December 19, 2012, 08:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by On2wheels View Post
Are there utilities on this disc to give me access to old windows install folders on drives I'm trying to clean up? I keep getting the "can't delete file in use" error. I suppose it's best to just wipe the drive clean and start new, but it might be useful to know how someday.
You could just use the mini XP that is on Hirens and then from there get rid of what you need since you are outside of windows.

Old December 20, 2012, 08:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

Thanks ipaine, that sounds easy too, though I've never tried Hirens yet. I was able to use this old Ubuntu live CD I had from years ago, it gave me write access and deleted the folders. That CD has helped twice now on 2 different jobs. Pretty cool considering I ordered it online as a joke and it actually came in the mail from Sweden or wherever they are based, with some free stickers!

Now word of mouth is getting around and I may have another job to do for a friend in the new year. How do you guys handle a potentially incurable PC, do you just keep scanning until some point you decide it's a lost cause? I'm starting to tell people to bring me their Windows install cd if they have it just in case, but is there an alternate way to legitimately reinstall windows (XP I'm assuming) with someones' original product key but with a generic install cd?
Old December 20, 2012, 08:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by On2wheels View Post
I'm starting to tell people to bring me their Windows install cd if they have it just in case, but is there an alternate way to legitimately reinstall windows (XP I'm assuming) with someones' original product key but with a generic install cd?
As long as you install the proper version of Windows, it'll activate properly with a legit key. We have a DVD at work with 6 versions of XP, all completely untouched, (No cracks, extras, etc) which was "acquired" on the internet. XP is the most tricky as there are both OEM and retail versions.
Code:
<firebane> slightly used

Old December 20, 2012, 09:12 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever View Post
One of the programs I use off of Hiren's is Revo uninstaller. Seems to work pretty well, just do not use it on antivirus programs.
Why is that? (There is a reason I don't use antivirus programs outside of windows built in lol)