Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 1, 2009, 12:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default What does Technet come with?

Can anyone tell me in detail what Technet comes with? I understand that you get access to Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7, as well as Microsoft Office 2003, 2007, and 2010 when it comes out.

I recall reading something bout 10 subscriptions, but is it 10 of everything, or do you just get a total of 10 keys to what you choose? So like if you use 2 subscriptions for Windows 7, you get only 8 more keys for everything else.

Thanks!
Old September 1, 2009, 12:59 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Depending on the software, you'll get a different amount of keys. But for the most part, "retail" Office and OSes generates 10 keys each. And each key can be activated to a maximum of 10 times.
So you can get 10 keys of W7 Ultimate, 10 keys of W7 Professional, 10 keys of W7 Home Premium, 10 keys of Office Ultimate 2007, 10 keys of Office Professional Plus 2007...etc. So almost "10 of everything" (...certain things give you one such as Windows Home Server and can be activated once).
Old September 1, 2009, 01:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You get a key and download to just about every Microsoft software... some you get multiple keys... like 10

Basically if you were to buy all the software technet gives you... it would be several thousands.. it's worth the $350 or whatever it is lol
Old September 1, 2009, 01:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So even if I only get 10 keys, I can get unlimited downloads during the duration of the subscription right? As long as I can get multiple keys for the same program and there's no like grand total, then I'm good.

When did Technet start anyways? This is money well spent, when compared to paying like $200 for just ONE operating system or Microsoft Office or whatever.
Old September 1, 2009, 02:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
So even if I only get 10 keys, I can get unlimited downloads during the duration of the subscription right? As long as I can get multiple keys for the same program and there's no like grand total, then I'm good.

When did Technet start anyways? This is money well spent, when compared to paying like $200 for just ONE operating system or Microsoft Office or whatever.
Yeah there is definitely no grand total.... and yes, if you were even buying like 2 things of software from MS, technet has already paid for itself lol

Oh and yes, unlimited downloading of all software in the technet.. its fast too
Old September 1, 2009, 02:25 PM
MVP

My System Specs

This is because technet is meant for tech professionals to use for "evaluation" purposes and it's illegal to continue usage after the 1 year subscription. But of course, as long as Windows is genuine and activates...that's all that matters
Old September 1, 2009, 02:32 PM
Allstar
F@H

the only thing that has limited keys are the Server OS's, IIRC. But then again you can activate that puppy until the cows come home.
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old September 1, 2009, 02:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant View Post
This is because technet is meant for tech professionals to use for "evaluation" purposes and it's illegal to continue usage after the 1 year subscription. But of course, as long as Windows is genuine and activates...that's all that matters

No. It is not illegal. Nowhere in the EULA/ToU does it say you must stop using it after the 1 year. You just cannot download the ISO's anymore after one year.

From the site

Quote:
Only Subscribers with active subscriptions can download products and claim product keys, so you will not be able to download products after your Subscription has expired. In some cases, you will be able to view product keys you had claimed while your Subscription was active, but you will not be able to claim new keys. In order to access your prior claimed keys, you will have to sign in using the Windows Live ID used with your Subscription.
Nowhere in the FAQ or EULA/ToU does it state that it is illegal to use the keys past the one year mark.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 1, 2009, 03:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What the hell am I gonna do with so many Windows 7 keys?

Ugh I have a feeling that I'm going to go over my bandwidth again, this time downloading LEGAL things

And just to make sure, Office 2010 should be on Technet right?

Last edited by geokilla; September 24, 2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old September 1, 2009, 03:58 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Anybody know of any ways to get a discount on a subscription? Coupon codes? Govt. discounts, etc...
Fold for team #54196