Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 1, 2009, 10:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwagon View Post
Just to get this right, you get 1 key for Windows 7 Ultimate. Then you're allowed to use that key 10 times?
No. 10 keys. 10 times each key for reinstalls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwagon View Post
And I can just download the iso and burn it onto a dvd and use whenever I need a new OS of W7 Ultimate?
Yes. With one of the 10 keys.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 2, 2009, 01:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
No. 10 keys. 10 times each key for reinstalls.

Yes. With one of the 10 keys.
This is the key point here for folks like me who reinstall their OS / Change haredware frequently.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 2, 2009, 05:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
This is the key point here for folks like me who reinstall their OS / Change haredware frequently.

Didnt they relax the hardware swapping portion in Win7? Like its not as...bitchy?...about stuff if you swap out a mobo and gfx card? I thought I read something somewhere from Ballmer stating they were going to ease up on that. I can imagine the tech support overhead they have just for activation call ins from this feature

10 reinstalls can be alot, anyways. And I think most people image their installs for quick/easy restores and 'installs'. I know I do. BartPE ftw!
Quote:
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 5, 2009, 09:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So I didn't buy it yet, but....

Are the 32 bit and 64 bit Windows keys different? So I can have 10 Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit, 10 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit? etc.?
Old September 5, 2009, 09:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
So I didn't buy it yet, but....

Are the 32 bit and 64 bit Windows keys different? So I can have 10 Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit, 10 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit? etc.?
They work for both, but they will likely give you one (or ten) of each anyways
Old September 5, 2009, 09:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I believe the 32 and 64 keys are assigned together simply as 'Windows 7 Ultimate' keys, but I'm not at home right now so I can't log in and check

*EDIT* Sorry, I'm wrong. I signed in and checked. The x64 and x86 keys are distributed separately, so you could get 10 of each.

Last edited by Caldezar; September 5, 2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old September 6, 2009, 05:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
I believe the 32 and 64 keys are assigned together simply as 'Windows 7 Ultimate' keys, but I'm not at home right now so I can't log in and check

*EDIT* Sorry, I'm wrong. I signed in and checked. The x64 and x86 keys are distributed separately, so you could get 10 of each.
And since these are RETAIL keys, they can be swapped to install 64 bit Ultimates, using 32bit keys, yes.
Quote:
Old September 6, 2009, 08:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So you technically get 20 keys?! WTF I thought M$ wanted $$$$$$!
Old September 7, 2009, 11:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
So you technically get 20 keys?! WTF I thought M$ wanted $$$$$$!

Well, first of all, YOU technically get 20 keys for YOUR use. You're not supposed to be sharing with other people. So let's say you have 2 computers in the house... that means you should only really be using 2 keys. And the worst MS loses out on is a couple hundred bucks.
Microsoft's allowed for people with up to 10 PC's to be using this subscription 'for themselves'. But at the end of the day, they end up making money since this option allows people who may have just downloaded a cracked version, to actually pay MS for their software.

But what this really comes down to, is word of mouth. If you know nothing about computers, and a tech (who has a technet subscription) tells you: "Hey man, you have 4Gb of RAM in your computer, and you're running XP Home. I know Vista has a bad reputation, but I've been using Windows 7 and it's AWESOME! And you'd be able to get that extra performance from your computer, while moving in to a 64 bit world. You should get it!" Then chances are, you'll seriously consider buying it.
And now imagine the same conversation happening between an IT manager and a corporate decision maker. Now MS has just sold a huge corporate license. That's pretty much why technet's in place.

Last edited by Caldezar; September 7, 2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old September 23, 2009, 08:05 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Got my subscription to Technet and it`s pretty sweet. I was wondering if I download 10 keys, do I have to use them all within the year subscription of Technet, or can I install Windows 7 in two years when I build a new computer even though my subscription is expired.