Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 1, 2009, 03:11 AM
Rookie

Default Windows 7/Vista/XP questions!

Hey guys!
I'm going to try and see if I can exploit the members of these forums for some eucational material . Basically I'm doing my first year in computer science, but due to Swineflu I actually missed the first three weeks of school, and there is an assigment that's due by end of tomorrow. I figured some of you guys are retardedly smart when it comes to this, so why the heck, I might as well learn a thing or two instead of googling.

These are very simple questions and are all related to Windows 7/Vista/XP and the answers can go directly regarding either one of them. I already know the naswer to most of them, but imputs from genius people doesn't hurt! Just make sure you write down what version of the OS you're reffering to. By the way, the assigment is in norwegian, so I will try to do my best with the translating. Feel free to ask if I'm missing out on anything, or it's translated dodgy. I will be only asking questions which I am a bit uncertain about and ones that I suck at googling :(.

First question, Files and Katalogtree:
1) What are the 3 highest (closest to the root) katalogs/files on the filetree on your computer?

Second question, Installation:
1) Aside from your own user account, create a guest account on your computer. What differences will there be between the two accounts. (Administrator and guest). Which user areas will the guest account be avalible for ?
- For this assigment I know the general differences, but not the most important ones I guess.

Third question, Portscanning:
1) Portscan your own computer and add a copy of the result.
- I've got no idea how I actually portscan on Windows 7, I only know how to do it on a Mac.

Forth question, The OS:
1) Mention the most important componoments to Windows 7/Vista/XP (only one of them) and give an explenation to them.
- This one I'm completly clueless about, sadly.

I feel a bit bad asking questions I should study on my own, but hey, if I do get an answer it'll be pretty educational either way! Thanks.
Old September 1, 2009, 06:51 AM
Top Prospect

3. For port scanning download Nessus, it's a free program and will so a complete scan of your computers ports, zenmap is also an alternative.

4. Security changes are a big change, the way users are asked if they want to install programs, etc. A google of 'Vista advantages' or something along that line would probably bring up some results.
Old September 1, 2009, 08:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

1. Not the best translation I'm guessing, but I'd say Windows, Program Files, Users (or Documents and Settings)

2. They cannot change system settings, they cannot install programs. Basically limited from performing any sort of administrative task and they cannot access other users files (assuming the other user account has a password).

3. Don't know, never bothered to look into it either. Post above seems to have some recommendations though.

4. Most important component of the OS is definitely the kernel. It's the very base of the OS which everything else is built off of. Next key thing would be the file system, then the user interface.
Old September 1, 2009, 09:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

1) I have no clue

2) Guest is the exact equivalent to that of a limited account if I recall correctly which means the only directory you have any real access to is your My Documents directory as everything else is protected unless you get an Administrator of the computer to allow this.

3) Portscan can be done online @ https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

4) This is really a unfair question because the differences between XP and Vista/Win7 is so dramatic that in reality you can't really compare them. Was there anything in XP that really stood out over Windows 98? I'd say NTFS filesystem. Vista/Win7 I'd say the Superfetch feature.
Old September 2, 2009, 01:06 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
1) I have no clue

2) Guest is the exact equivalent to that of a limited account if I recall correctly which means the only directory you have any real access to is your My Documents directory as everything else is protected unless you get an Administrator of the computer to allow this.

3) Portscan can be done online @ https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

4) This is really a unfair question because the differences between XP and Vista/Win7 is so dramatic that in reality you can't really compare them. Was there anything in XP that really stood out over Windows 98? I'd say NTFS filesystem. Vista/Win7 I'd say the Superfetch feature.
Thanks a lot so far guys, really helpful!

It's not about the difference, you just pick one of them (that you have the knowledge about) and write it up :). Don't have to compare.