Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   How to save your "Favourites" (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/22214-how-save-your-favourites.html)

Cadence August 24, 2009 12:46 AM

How to save your "Favourites"

I'm planning to upgrade my OS to windows 7 when it's out.
Is there any way of transferring my favourites from my firefox to my new firefox?

Safearus August 24, 2009 05:35 AM

Yes:
Ctrl+Shift+B (Or click "Bookmarks -> Organize Bookmarks")
You should see a button that says: "Import and Backup"
Backup your favorites, in whatever form you want. Import once you update, just make sure to save the file(s) somewhere.

Cadence August 24, 2009 09:46 AM

thanks!

chrisk August 24, 2009 10:04 AM

I back up my Firefox bookmarks, themes, add-on, and settings by backing up my entire profile. Directions here: Profiles

Step 1: Vista: Copy C:users\username\appdata\roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\P rofiles\profilefoldername(randon letters).default , or XP:C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\randomletters.defaul t

Copy the above directory to your backup location.

Step 2: On your new computer, paste the ".default" folder back into the same directory as above. If you see another ".default" folder in there, rename the ".default" to something like ".defaultold" or whatever you want.

Step 3: In the Firefox folder (Vista C:users\username\appdata\roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\ , or XP C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\ ), you will see a file called "profile.ini". Open it with notepad, and rename the "Path=Profiles/randonletters.default" line to the same name as your old profile.

Hope this does not sound tricky. You are basically just copying your whole firefox folder to your new setup, and changing the 'profile.ini" file to point to your old directory. That way, you get your firefox just the way you had it, extensions, settings, and all. If you look around, there are probably lots of backup extensions too.

Arinoth August 24, 2009 10:11 AM

Safearus' way is a lot easier and straight forward chris, lol (i did it myself with my girlfriend's computer 2 weeks ago and its a few clicks, not directory hunting likes yours)

chrisk August 24, 2009 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 244130)
Safearus' way is a lot easier and straight forward chris, lol (i did it myself with my girlfriend's computer 2 weeks ago and its a few clicks, not directory hunting likes yours)

Does it just get your bookmarks, or all your Firefox stuff? If all you want are bookmarks, then yes, the first method is better.

Me, I like to keep my extensions, settings, themes and figured it would be nice to let the OP know that option exixts...if the first method works for all those too then I would use that, but I only wanted to let the OP know you can keep your bookmarks, settings, themes, add-ons, etc....

AkG August 24, 2009 10:29 AM

Mozbackup is another good way to back everything up. ;)
MozBackup - Backup tool for Firefox and Thunderbird

gingerbee August 24, 2009 11:02 AM

wow way to make something as simple as backups hard guys come on ( all software comes with it's own way to do backups)
KISS= keep it simple stupid and this is JMO :biggrin:

lowfat August 24, 2009 11:14 AM

Just copy the entire user\AppData folder. That way you save your settings for damn near every application.

chrisk August 24, 2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingerbee (Post 244162)
wow way to make something as simple as backups hard guys come on ( all software comes with it's own way to do backups)
KISS= keep it simple stupid and this is JMO :biggrin:

:haha: I guess copying and pasting a folder is hard then. :bleh:

As I said, if all you want are bookmarks then the first method is best. All I did was offer a method I have used to copy all of my FF stuff as well. If the OP finds locating a folder and copying it difficult then he does not have to do it lol.

BTW Method works almost exactly the same for Thunderbird email client as well. You get all your emails, contacts, server settings, etc.