Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Win 7, XP Dual boot (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/22201-win-7-xp-dual-boot.html)

miggs78 August 23, 2009 02:52 PM

Win 7, XP Dual boot

Quick question on XP and Win 7 dual boot please. I currently have XP installed on one partition on my RAID, I setup another partition for Win 7 installation..

Can I just install Win 7 on the second partition and not mess with XP, or do I need to take any extra step/precaution..

Any comments are welcome, thank you :thumb:

Sagath August 23, 2009 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miggs78 (Post 243766)
Quick question on XP and Win 7 dual boot please. I currently have XP installed on one partition on my RAID, I setup another partition for Win 7 installation..

Can I just install Win 7 on the second partition and not mess with XP, or do I need to take any extra step/precaution..

Any comments are welcome, thank you :thumb:

Sure...but...Why?

miggs78 August 23, 2009 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sagath (Post 243770)
Sure...but...Why?

It's benching purposes, doing some kind of configuration..

miggs78 August 23, 2009 04:39 PM

I need help people..

I installed Windows 7 on a seperate partition than XP.. So first reboot, Win 7 loads up, no option for OS to choose. Then I loaded Win 7 and set the partition XP is installed on to active, reboot.. XP problem with NTLDR missing, so I reinstall XP.. reboot no options to choose again, I set the Windows 7 partition active, it boots to Win 7.. still no option to choose.

Is there something I'm doing wrong, I just need an option to choose wither Windows 7 or XP..

Inik August 23, 2009 04:52 PM

I'm currently on a dual boot setup with XP + win 7

I use XP for playing CS:S.. the sound is better :biggrin:

On a clean HDD, I made 3 partition with the XP CD. I installed XP on the first partition, installed Win 7 on the second partition after. Everything is running fine, and I have the option to boot in Win7 or XP at each boot. I didn't mess with the MBR at all

miggs78 August 23, 2009 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inik (Post 243816)
I'm currently on a dual boot setup with XP + win 7

I use XP for playing CS:S.. the sound is better :biggrin:

On a clean HDD, I made 3 partition with the XP CD. I installed XP on the first partition, installed Win 7 on the second partition after. Everything is running fine, and I have the option to boot in Win7 or XP at each boot. I didn't mess with the MBR at all

Well what I did was, create a new partition using XP's Disk Management feature, made it a Primary partition (I'm thinking this is where I messed up).. Installed Windows 7 on that seperate partition.. and now I don't get an option for dual boot.

Inik August 23, 2009 05:26 PM

Do you have a partition between the XP partition and the Win 7 partition?

miggs78 August 23, 2009 05:43 PM

No they both have seperate partitions..

element291 August 23, 2009 07:45 PM

If you've got them both installed, go into winxp, if you cant, run the repair console from the cd.

Then download this easy tool.
EasyBCD

You'll be able to setup your mbr the way you want, so you can choose your OS.

JD August 23, 2009 08:37 PM

If you had Windows XP already installed and running, installing Windows 7 to a different partition should of took care of all the boot loader issues.

I'd question if your XP install or partitioning was proper.

Since it sounds like both are clean installs, start again with XP. Make the necessary partitions during the XP install. Then install Windows 7 on the other partition and all should be good.