Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 20, 2009, 07:29 PM
Rookie

Default Missed the Windows 7 RC Download Boat

Yes, I am probably one of the very few around here that didn't download Windows 7 RC from the Microsoft site before it was lifted at noon today. I am in the process of putting together all of the parts for an I7 build and was thinking that I would have all of the components by about October - when the "real" version is to be released. In fact, I had pre-purchased Windows 7 with that in mind.

To make a long story longer, it looks like I will have all the parts for my build sooner rather than later - so I wanted to download the "official" RC version before it was removed. However, this morning was very hectic and I lost track of time - until it was too late.

Anyways, my question is - can anyone suggest a secure site to download RC now? A search on Google reveals virtually hundreds of places but I don't want a virus, trojan, etc. :help:
Old August 20, 2009, 07:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have it and could give either the 64 or 32 bit verion to you....
Old August 20, 2009, 07:40 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Why bother w/ RC, get a refund on your pre-purchase....and get a year suscrption to techent plus. Use TMSAM16 to get 25% off. That way you get 10 legit keys to win 7 ultimate (or any other version you want), 10 legit keys for Office 2k7 and when it is released early to mid next year 10 keys to office2k10 which will come in 64 bit flavours! Get the cheaper version as the shipments are IMHO not worth it unless you are on dial up. Even with the exchange rate it will cost you less than 1 full version of Win 7 ultimate.

YMMV but that is what I would do if I didn't have a subscription to technet all ready.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 20, 2009, 08:01 PM
Rookie

AKG:

How does the subscription and software work. Is it time limited - i.e. you have to keep renewing every year or once you have the software, you get to continue using it even if you don't renew?

Also, the 10 legit keys to Windows 7 Ultimate, Office 2007 and then Office 2010 - how can they be used - must they be used only personally at your home or could they be used on the office computers of a business that I own?

In any event, your suggestion is certainly food for thought and much appreciated!
Old August 20, 2009, 08:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Why bother w/ RC, get a refund on your pre-purchase....and get a year suscrption to techent plus. Use TMSAM16 to get 25% off. That way you get 10 legit keys to win 7 ultimate (or any other version you want), 10 legit keys for Office 2k7 and when it is released early to mid next year 10 keys to office2k10 which will come in 64 bit flavours! Get the cheaper version as the shipments are IMHO not worth it unless you are on dial up. Even with the exchange rate it will cost you less than 1 full version of Win 7 ultimate.

YMMV but that is what I would do if I didn't have a subscription to technet all ready.
Hrm. I need two copies of Win7 at minimum, plus I could use an office...How much is a years of technet?

And I assume the keycodes are good after the years subscription dies?
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 20, 2009, 08:16 PM

Unlimited use, no time limits. They are retail keys, pure and simple (unless they are VLs ;) ). BUT you can only DL during the year, after that you are SOL...BUT you can still access your keys.

Only catch is they are for 'evaluation use only" AND for YOU only. No sharing, but if you evaluate everything on your system for forever MS does not care as long as you are not using it in a business PRODUCTION setting (test server is OK).

Last time I checked it was about 350 USD for a new account, but w/ the coupon and exchange rate it works out to be about 340CND (including taxes) for the "direct" version (i.e. no discs in the mail). Cool thing is these discounts come up all the time AND work on existing accounts for CHEAP 1yr extensions. Every once in awhile you can get it for 99USD....BUT with Win 7 coming out so soon, that deal prolly will not appear for at least another 6mths.

Cool thing is if you "need" more than 10 keys a simple telephone call is all that is needed to get more...and each key can activate 10 systems before the need to phone in to activate 'em which ALWAYS works

Remember NO sharing (personal use only), no live business use, and NO selling of the keys. Don't break those 3 rules and MS doesn't really care what you do with 'em.

YMMV but I got hooked on it years and years ago when I got a year for free when I got my MCSE. Now I reup when I need something expensive...or get a coupon for a free year ;)

EDIT: here is a link for it
TechNet Plus Subscriptions: TechNet subscribers get TechNet Plus downloads and product keys, support, and more | Subscribe to TechNet Plus Subscriptions | Get Windows 7 Beta Now

and their blog about what is new for DL:
TechNet Plus Blog

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; August 20, 2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old August 20, 2009, 08:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Blah, I cant justify 350 canadian for 2 copies of win7 and a copy of office. :(
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 20, 2009, 08:43 PM

To each their own. I got mine for free this year. and remember the keys DON'T expire. Request 1 a month and as you need 'em over the next year or 3....you'll have 'em. ;)

Edit you can also take a single course at your local university, get a EDU email account and bingo...cheap goodness through the "ultimate deal" or dremspark or some other MS setups.

Last edited by AkG; August 20, 2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old August 20, 2009, 09:18 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I'm thinking this is a good idea the Technet thing that is. I have 4 computers in the house 1 desktop and 3 lappy's it get's expensive upgrading them all and technet might be the way to go. Can you burn the Win7 ISO to disk? or any of the ISO to disk?

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg

Old August 20, 2009, 09:22 PM

yup, you DL the ISO's and burn em.