Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 20, 2009, 09:30 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

One other thing I'm reading the user license and it says •Single User License. If you acquire a single user license, one user may install and use copies of the software on any of your devices."

So I read that to mean that the software isn't somehow locked to your IP so as long as I own the computer I can load the software anywhere I want, even at the cottage? I can even load the OS on my computer at my mom's house for her to use since I own the computer.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg

Old August 20, 2009, 09:42 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The software is not locked or timebombed or anything else. It is the full retail version with real retail keys (thus the pause when it requests a key from the servers for you). What you are asking is a gray area and one I can't comment on this forum (against the rules). What I will say is MS are realists and this program is setup to get early adopters to USE it, like it and then tell their friends about the latest and greatest MS software and THEN recommend it at work. They really rather get some money out of you than have you pirate it.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 20, 2009, 10:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

@Pelt. What you said is correct imo. As AKG said, it's like a gray area, but it seems that Microsoft doesn't care much bout this and they should be aware of say for example, how people use their OEM licenses for Windows. So as for what AKG said bout no sharing.....well I'd share it with my friends. I'd just split the technet subscription with whoever is interested. We'll each take say 2 copies of whatever is available, and then be on our way. I have an OEM key for Windows XP and Vista that I got off my friends and I've called Microsoft a few times to get my Windows XP activated. Each time, it's problem free.

If you or know anyone is in University or college, you can ask them to see if they're eligible for the Windows 7 RTM. Problem is that even though you can get Windows 7 RTM for free, you can only get one product key from Microsoft so you'll really have to talk to your friend bout that and persuade them to share that one product key with you.

[edited]

Quote:
(14) NO MENTION OF HACKING/CRACKING/SERIALS//ILLEGAL DOWNLOADS. Doing so will lead to you being banned!
Hardware Canuck Rules

Last edited by 3.0charlie; August 21, 2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old August 21, 2009, 05:55 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
edited
[edited]

Quote:
(14) NO MENTION OF HACKING/CRACKING/SERIALS//ILLEGAL DOWNLOADS. Doing so will lead to you being banned!
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/site-announcements/1-hardware-canuck-rules.html

Meh, I like my WinXP Pro. I'll go to 7 when I have no choice. And even than, I prefer running Solaris, but kinda complicated to game on it.
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Thermaltake Armor
Corsair TX850W
Mushkin HP3 2x2GB DDR3
Samsung SATA DVD-RW

MSI GeForce GTX 275 Twin Frozr

Last edited by 3.0charlie; August 21, 2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old August 21, 2009, 11:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
If you or know anyone is in University or college, you can ask them to see if they're eligible for the Windows 7 RTM. Problem is that even though you can get Windows 7 RTM for free, you can only get one product key from Microsoft so you'll really have to talk to your friend bout that and persuade them to share that one product key with you.
For me at least, I only get access to Professional on MSDNAA. But it is there, and you can send people the direct downloader program too and it works fine. So if you have a willing friend that has access, it's a feasible option.
Old August 21, 2009, 11:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I bought into Technet. With the discount code its 300USD, so even with exchange its less then 330 for 10 copies of Vista/win7/office7/office10/Server2008/etc/etc/etc. It also includes keys for 32 and 64 bit, and ALL VARIOUS VERSIONS.

This means 10 copies of Win7 Ultimate for 330 Canadian. Even if you dont use any of the other available software.

Yee-Haw.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 21, 2009, 02:42 PM
Allstar

hey AkG(or anyone else, i guess),

would you recommend that a university student get a technet plus subscription, or would the universities(BCIT, to be specific) offer a cheaper alternative?
Old August 21, 2009, 03:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
would you recommend that a university student get a technet plus subscription, or would the universities(BCIT, to be specific) offer a cheaper alternative?
If your in a technology related program, you should be able to get MSDNAA access free.
Old August 21, 2009, 04:24 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

MSDNAA and DreamSpark might be better, cheaper options for you ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 27, 2009, 04:08 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Thanks AkG for the info about TechNet.
We have 5 computers in the house ... I had pre-ordered 3 upgrades, and I still needed 2 more copy's. After I read this thread I canceled my order and bought a TechNet subscription.

Its great cause we get access to the server stuff as well. I knew about TechNet for awhile but didn't clue into all the benefits until I read this.

Thanks again much appreciated.