Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 8, 2009, 07:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default 2 OS 1 drive

Hey guys, I am wondering if there is anyway possible with or without the use of a software ( i prefer to use no software BTW ) to install 2 windows on the same hard drive. Actually the issue I have is that no soft can partition my drive because all over the 640 there is some unmovable file WTH? Why Win7 put unmovable files everywhere on the disk...Now I want to install W7 RC1 ( already install ) with my brand new Win server 2008 Pro on the same disk. As I mention before I would like if possible to use no software to do it ( except partitioning software ) If I have no other choice I will use some. Please answer me fast guys.

Ask for more if needed.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old August 8, 2009, 08:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You need to shrink your partition to allow for another to be made...

Either buy Acronis DiskDirector, or try this free one: Partition Wizard is a Windows based FREE Partition Manager. It works as partition magic and supports Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008 server and Windows 7. FREE for Home and Business user.

Hopefully that will let you resize your current Windows partition.
Old August 9, 2009, 07:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I can vouch for diskdirector from acronis - the partition is regardless of files or unmovable files, the partition software does NOT know this since it sees sectors and the moving of sectors regardless of data.

Yes you can install more than 1 OS on the same PHYSICAL DRIVE - Tricky question - your ONE physical drive can be partitioned into several drives with their own letters and act the same way as having multi drives - you can say, install Windows XP on C, Windows Vista on D, Windows 7 on E for example

Now, from your post it seems you are using one physical drive but want to install multiple OSs on the same PARTITION.

Technically yes you can with one of the many software out there through custom bootloaders/menus.

If you install in different partitions, you need no software since the OS automatically creates a multi-boot menu - might be tricky if you install Windows XP + windows vista + a 2nd Windows XP, will lose your Vista boot - can easily be reset though no problem.

I do not recommend installing more than 1 OS per partition - While it CAN be done, you will need software like DiskDirector, which contains OS Selector, or use other tools available. OS Selector is good because it can take snapshots of your boot sectors and use those for your menus completly bypassing the XP/Vista own boot menus.

OS Selector does allow you to install multiple OSs on the same partition, in different default directories for your OS, but things can become messy in the long run, since you will be sharing your program files and other folders, it can be tricky to manually set new defaults. Conclusion save yourself some trouble and isntall 1 OS per partition after you find a way to repartition.

Make sure you backup your important data files first just in case.
Old August 9, 2009, 10:24 PM
Rookie

bad idea buddy, make sure you back up important data.

i would spend the extra few $50 and get another drive to be safe.
Old August 10, 2009, 05:21 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Smile

ever think of using virtualbox by sun microsystems ? Its free and lets you make a virtual pc were you can have as many different operating systems as you like. It installs like any other windows program. Allowing you to run your OS of choice within your windows program. Saves all the trouble of configuring boot loaders , partitioning , etc . Google it and see if it might be worth a try.
Old August 12, 2009, 10:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Now, from your post it seems you are using one physical drive but want to install multiple OSs on the same PARTITION.

Nonono, What I was telling is that I don't know why but Acronis even windows can't do another partition because there is unmovable file. I will try some other software sugested before and hope it will work.

Ask for more.

Martin_metal_88

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old August 12, 2009, 10:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thx Jdorm17, I hope your software will work or I will be needed to by another drive. I can afford it but I want to spend my money elsewhere than my computer XD.

Ask for more

Martin_metal_88

Old August 17, 2009, 08:50 AM
MVP
F@H

Well, one thing is that you could download the program prior to actually purchasing it. There is an "evaluation" version, which can be unlocked. But without purchasing the Acronis Disk Director will not make any actual changes. I'd advise testing to see if it will allow you to re-partition your drive. There is also a program I've once used called G-Parted, which is 100% free. However I don't know if it'll work in your case.

Link to sourceforge: G-Parted
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Thermaltake Armor
Corsair TX850W
Mushkin HP3 2x2GB DDR3
Samsung SATA DVD-RW

MSI GeForce GTX 275 Twin Frozr
Old August 17, 2009, 09:00 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post

Nonono, What I was telling is that I don't know why but Acronis even windows can't do another partition because there is unmovable file. I will try some other software sugested before and hope it will work.

Ask for more.
Just an FYI, Windows will protect itself in the case that you're trying to make this change from within the O/S. You should be outside of windows running this type of thing from a fresh boot VIA CD or something. Not quite sure if you are, but just a thought that I never realized until just now... LOL
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Thermaltake Armor
Corsair TX850W
Mushkin HP3 2x2GB DDR3
Samsung SATA DVD-RW

MSI GeForce GTX 275 Twin Frozr