Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13, 2007, 12:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default Installation of Windows Vista (OOPS)

Ok so my first install consisted of me installing Windows Vista on the following:
P3 1ghz, 512mb ram, 80gb hdd, 256mb fx5600 video card.

My initial thoughts were to do an upgrade; didn't work. After it rebooted it hung at a "Installing Windows" screen for over an hour so I was like "ok this isn't working" and did a fresh install.

Got it working fine, but needed a special "crack" on my other hard drive so I went and enabled my onboard ide controller as the motherboard used a CMD-648U bios for 2 additional ports. Well my first issue was that Vista did not like this and wouldn't import the hard drive as it thought it was foreign.

So I grabbed some spare hardware; p4 3ghz, 1gb ram, and the same hdd and video card. This time the install went a lot smoother and faster and so far no hitches tho I've noticed some things.

1) Nvidias drivers for Geforce and Vista does not recognize my old card; odd. Windows XP drivers won't work.

Other than that I do have to say oddly enough that Vista does run pretty smooth and I was quite taken back to see that it only used 8gb of space for a fresh install which is only 6gb more than a fresh install of Vista.

I'm gonna poke around and see what else I can find whether it'll break or make it better :)

Last edited by Supergrover; January 25, 2007 at 01:39 PM.
Old January 15, 2007, 11:28 PM
Top Prospect

odd,
according to the release notes for Nvidia's Beta Vista x86 driver here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_97.46.html

Your FX5600 isn't on the supported cards list but the FX5500, among other lower-end cards are :confused:

Big green is still having some difficulty with their Vista drivers it seems.
Old January 16, 2007, 09:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

Yah I had to back date the drivers to a older set found on Guru32 but even then the 3d wasn't proper and some games wouldn't function properly.
Old January 24, 2007, 11:54 PM
Top Prospect

NVIDIA should be releasing drivers in the coming days that -may- address a few of the problems mentioned. They seem to really be waiting until the last moment though...