Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 31, 2009, 04:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Programming Problem

As some of you may or may not remember i am doing the Custom Strobe Lights worklog and i've come into a little bit of a problem. It seems that the microphone i have is a little too sensitive in picking up changes in volume (i can talk and it'll pick it up). Now i am doing the software side using a modified version of C for the arduino board and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me to be able to get some kind of peak detection in certain volume ranges from music but not pick up a person talking.
Old August 6, 2009, 07:46 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

you get this solved yet Arinoth?
Old August 6, 2009, 08:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yes and no, i didn't solve what i wanted but i increased the volume threshold it requires so that doesn't pick up my voice and "should" work when i have my music up at party volumes
Old August 7, 2009, 12:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Typically a person's voice frequency ranges from 300 Hz to 3.4 kHz, so you could perhaps add a function in there, if it can support it, to lower the gain in that frequency range. A high pass or band-pass filter should be able to do it. However, I assume you want the strobe to work on the bass beat? If that's the case, you will have to use a bandpass filter.

Can you make a transfer function in the code?

Last edited by bojangles; August 7, 2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old August 7, 2009, 01:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The microphone doesn't give me the frequency, rather then it gives me the intensity of the sound/volume. Currently i think i have a set up, i tried it out, and unless someone is yelling only the music causes the LEDs to go on (i'm working in the very high range for the volume)