Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 28, 2009, 09:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

She's running Avira antivirus right now...
I'll try to get her to let Malwarebytes run, or maybe SuperAntiSpyware, but who knows if she will.
She was already a little weary of Malwarebytes because she's never heard of it , but the weird error on install freaked her right out.
Old July 29, 2009, 06:19 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by netforce View Post
Never download combofix from ComboFix | freeware
The official site is A guide and tutorial on using ComboFix
Anybody else going to bash my response???? Did I once tell anyone to click "GOOGLE ADS" ????? If you're stupid enough to click the ads and not read first...you deserve the frigging viruses. And please, read the instructions and download combofix and see where it takes you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (maybe bleepingcomputer.com???)

This link just shows you how stupid people are because the just won't bother to read first.

My 2 bits !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

E8400@3.0Ghz - Gigabyte EP45 UD3L - OCZ 4GB PC2-8500 DDR2 - Sapphire 5750 512MB - 5 Seagate HD 500GB - Plextor 712A DVD-RW - CM HAF 922
Old July 29, 2009, 06:33 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I didn't see the part about Malwarebytes getting errors on install, see if she'll let you install SuperAntiSpyWare. Some Rouge software will try and block the web pages of security sites and maybe the install of the app itself, not saying that's whats happening here but installing a know good anti spy-ware like SuperAntiSpyWare will at lease let you know everything OK.

Here's a list on Wikipedia of known Rouge software, but there's more than what's on this list Rogue security software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and here is a few screen shots from Microsoft of a few just to give an idea of how much they look like regular software Rogue Security Software ? Microsoft Security

But in the end it's her PC so if she still refuses to let you install it you'll just have to wait and see if there's is any fallout and if there is I suspect you'll end up fixing it anyways, then just tell her no .

P.S. Because you don't know whats going on here without proper scan I would not use the PC for any banking or credit card transactions.
Old July 29, 2009, 03:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I was able to get her to run SuperAntiSpyware...
It found a bunch of cookies, and when she went to let it delete them she had another error.
Again I didn't get a good look, but she just won't try anything else I suggest now.
She says Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware don't look like 'professional' software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDogZero View Post
But in the end it's her PC so if she still refuses to let you install it you'll just have to wait and see if there's is any fallout and if there is I suspect you'll end up fixing it anyways, then just tell her no .

P.S. Because you don't know whats going on here without proper scan I would not use the PC for any banking or credit card transactions.
Well, it is her PC, but I pay for the internet.
I also let her have my external HDD which still has some of my work and photos on it.
I want to help but she's not going to let me now so oh well...
Thanks anyway guys.
Old July 29, 2009, 06:07 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Sigh. Thats to bad. ScanSpyware is classified as a ROGUE program by numerous groups. It ALWAYS finds "virus" that only it can clean...but only after you pay for the full version.

Spyware Warrior: Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites

Malwarebytes.org

etc etc

Hopw this helps...but I personally wouldn't let her near my computer if i was you ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 29, 2009, 06:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks, AkG...
I showed her the Spyware Warrior link, and got her to read the Cnet reviews on Malwarebytes that she 'couldn't find' earlier.
At least she believes now that Malwarebytes=good and ScanSpyware=not good, and that I'm not trying to with her.

Oh, and I wouldn't let her touch my baby... no worries there ;)

Last edited by somecanadianguy; July 29, 2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old July 29, 2009, 07:49 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I hear that antivirus2009 is pretty effective...
Old July 30, 2009, 04:54 AM
Allstar

Haha, yes and it looks professional too!

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old July 30, 2009, 06:49 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Thanks AKG, I was trying to find ScanSpyWare with Google but got a bunch of links for Spy-Ware scanners, with such a generic name it's hard to search. But the alarms were going off with MalWareBytes and SuperAntiSpyWare giveing errors.

This goes to show not to judge a book by it's cover, the software that odis172 and Nodscene pointed out looks very professional, it looks better that Avast's user interface IMO but it's Rouge and a pain to get rid of, I know this because I once removed this from a friends PC. In most cases I've seen you'll either have to download a cleaner for the specific Malware or manually follow some tutorial to shut it down before you can run any scans

Found a link to remove it hope it works. Once you get rid of it do a deep scan with SuperAntiSpyWare.
ScanSpyware Removal Tool. Remove ScanSpyware Now

And while I've heard good things about Avira antivirus it seems like it should have caught this? Might want to give Avast a try IMO.
Old July 30, 2009, 07:27 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I like free Aniti-Virus programs like Avira, and the paid for full versions of SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes. All three of them with their active defense set = little chance of anything getting in. IF you want to go semi-paranoid. Run nod32 AV + AVira + SAS + Malawarebytes. For full paranoid version do that PLUS run it all in a sandbox like VMWare ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr