Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 27, 2009, 08:19 AM
Allstar

Default F-Secure says stop using Adobe Acrobat Reader

Quote:
On the periphery of the current RSA conference, Mikko Hypponen, the chief research officer of Finnish anti-virus software vendor F-Secure, has recommended that, due to security problems with Adobe Reader, users should switch to an alternative program.
F-Secure advises against using Adobe Reader - News - The H Security: News and features

Looks like another vote for Foxit.
Old July 27, 2009, 09:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well I've been using FOXIT reader for a very long time now - (close to a year or +)

and I am EXTREMELY satisfied - whenever I click on a PDF it appears INSTANTLY, lightning fast - no more waiting for adobe bloat to load up

I recommend FOXIT reader hands down - it's very responsive, has frequent updates, it's great ! :)
Old July 27, 2009, 09:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

People STILL use Acrobat *shocK*
Old July 27, 2009, 10:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well if you are in a print workflow using the creative suite from Adobe and (InDesign, Illustrator etc...) you have to install Acrobat as well. As you need to create PDFx1-a files for pro print shops and Acrobat is the best way to do it imho. However that is the full version of Acrobat, I have no idea if the full version is as insecure as the free Reader. Also in a corporate environment, it is very hard to get people to use anything other than the lowest common denominator. Got I can hardly get the bumbleheads I deal with to understand what Acrobat Reader is and how to get it, never mind FoxIt *sighs*.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old July 27, 2009, 10:22 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, enaberif, a lot of schools still use it, which is crap-tastic if you are using an old pos machine and have to open a big ass datasheet in adobe. You end up waiting a couple mins just for it to load the damn thing. Long Live FoxIt
Old July 27, 2009, 10:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The only bitch about this are applications that specifically look for adobe acrobat reader and can't find it - :)
Old July 27, 2009, 11:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Yeah, enaberif, a lot of schools still use it, which is crap-tastic if you are using an old pos machine and have to open a big ass datasheet in adobe. You end up waiting a couple mins just for it to load the damn thing. Long Live FoxIt
Thats only because most system admins only have half a brain and no clue what is better than something else.
Old July 27, 2009, 01:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

LOL ! Or too damn lazy !

damn straight - BTW, F-Secure is not the best tool to use either - they miss on some detections - I use AVIRA Security Suite now - has top reviews and an excellent detection rate and frequent updates daily.