Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 21, 2009, 03:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Windows 7 System Restore Messes Everything

So I did a system restore yesterday and unlike before, my games and files disappeared forcing me to reinstall them. Fair enough. So I reinstalled CoD WaW and after updating it, I just realized that the game folder is not in the Start Menu. I had to reinstall F.E.A.R. as well but the game shows up in the Start Menu. Both games show up in Add&Remove Programs. Is this normal or is something wrong?

Oh and I hate system restore. Screws everything up.
Old July 21, 2009, 03:46 PM
Rookie

Default Bugs

I know this isn't very helpful but I've read about bugs similar to this a few times. It's obviously a bug and I wouldn't bother using system restore it the RC candidate as it simply takes up space. I'm assuming your using the RC can't speak for other builds.

On another note it might be helpful to know that system restore is generally meant to only restore programs and that regular non .dll files and such most likely won't be restored through a system restore. System restore will only restore files on volumes it is meant to monitor. I would suggest backup software for files although I wouldn't waist my time worrying about that until the official release.

As for your programs if you installed them to a directory that wasn't monitored this could explain your problem.

Hope your system is back to normal soon.
Old July 21, 2009, 03:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

system restore i think is a bad idea anyway jmo.