Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 10, 2009, 06:17 PM
Rookie

Default XFX 4890 1GB driver for Windows 7?

Hey there

I jsut put together my first computer and everything almost went off without a hitch. I installed windows 7 RC and it was pretty good about automatically connectiong to the internet, finding updates and all that. Now when I went to install drivers, most of them took except for a few, the few of them were

Asus P5Q-pro motherboard and my ATI XFX 4890 1GB graphics card

both of them wouldn't recognize the operating system and when auto update finds a driver for the card for my it installs it then needs to reboot. However once it windows loads up it's a black screen. I can still hear the proper windows noises meaning everything else is still functioning except for the driver. I've already contacted XFX about the problem but I"m still waiting back for a reply. I'm thinking that this isn't the first time this has happened so if anyone knows where to find the proper driver for the windows 7 version I'm all ears.

Thank you
Old July 10, 2009, 06:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

First off there is no such thing as a motherboard driver. Windows just recognizes the hardware on it. As for the video card, you can always download the drivers right from the GPU manufacturer, AMD. There a search tool right on the front page to find the necessary drivers.

As for the black screen problem that may be a monitor issue. Try replugging the DVI cord in properly and do a power cycle on the monitor. Perhaps that will fix that issue.
Old July 10, 2009, 07:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I dont quite remember downloading drivers for my XFX 4890 with Windows 7, but if I did, I got the vista 64 ones and I am having 0 problems.
Old July 10, 2009, 07:08 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

yup, just go to AMD and download the latest drivers. the selection box is in the top right hand corner on the main page. they even have Windows 7 listed there now. just choose 32-bit or 64-bit to match your OS.
Old February 9, 2010, 05:45 AM
Trial Member

Im having the same problem. The XFX drivers gives the black screen of death. I have to pull the card put the nvidia 9800 back in and get the machine to boot with vista driver. Now I can uninstall the XFX ATI drivers and remove everything. Will Start with the AMD ATI drivers and see whats happens.
Old February 9, 2010, 06:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm assuming you mean the 'blue' screen of death? 'Black' screen could mean something else entirely. A power issue maybe?

As for the ATI drivers, by the sounds of it you're installing ati drivers over top of the nvidia drivers? That's what I'm getting from: "I have to pull the card put the nvidia 9800 back in" This could be part of the issue you're having. ATI and nvidia drivers don't play nicely together.But assumingyou uninstall everything for video card drivers, you should be able to download the latest from ATI and install them fine. I never had an issue.
Old February 9, 2010, 07:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
yup, just go to AMD and download the latest drivers. the selection box is in the top right hand corner on the main page. they even have Windows 7 listed there now. just choose 32-bit or 64-bit to match your OS.
and i think that's why he said go to amd site for drivers not xfx site
Old March 16, 2010, 01:05 PM
Trial Member

I'm new to this site and stumbled across this searching for a version # of a card and thought I could help. I've built/repaired/upgraded literally 1000's of PC's. I'm not a certified tech, but I've been doing this for over 25 years now. I know the characteristics of ATI cards. And the "black screen of death" is indeed one of the problems with ATI cards. The problem is the voltage is falling on the line your card is drawing from your power supply. I don't know what setup you have as for the power supply, mobo, or drives. Any decent SLI/Crossfire ready ps actually has 2 or more separate power units within 1 case, 1 unit for the CPU+mobo, and the larger for everything else, some like to refer this to rails, witch it is in some cases. If you look on your PS, it will have a separate and combined wattage (the advertised watts).

Wattage is an important factor, if the line your card is running on doesn't have enough watts, the voltage will drop thus causing your black screen of death with ATI cards. This generally effects other cards by causing them to run slower and/chunky, but with any ATI 2600 or above series cards, you'll loose video output.

I strongly believe this is your problem. If you didn't have this problem before, and it's all the same hardware, more than likely your power supply is getting weak. You can also try cleaning the card and power supply, because heat also restricts voltage. A temp fix would be to unlock your clocking, and slow down your card. But you really want a 750+ power supply for a 4890 (The cards recommend 500watts just for itself).