Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 8, 2009, 04:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Chrome OS

I've been following (with excitement) Google's voyage into a PC operating system very closely.. I'm completely stoked for this!

Google Set to Infiltrate Computing World Further – Plans for Chrome Operating System | Hardware Canucks

Further Reading:
Google Is Already Working With PC Makers on New Chrome OS - Business Center - PC World
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.

Last edited by FiXT; July 8, 2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old July 8, 2009, 05:24 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Sounds like this is for Netbooks and smaller appliances. Maybe it will be a fad for the cool people of the world.

E8400@3.0Ghz - Gigabyte EP45 UD3L - OCZ 4GB PC2-8500 DDR2 - Sapphire 5750 512MB - 5 Seagate HD 500GB - Plextor 712A DVD-RW - CM HAF 922
Old July 8, 2009, 06:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

looks interesting to say the least. and yes there launching it for the netbooks first.
Old July 8, 2009, 07:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's for netbooks at first, but make no mistake it will eventually be aimed directly at Microsoft.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old July 8, 2009, 08:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
It's for netbooks at first, but make no mistake it will eventually be aimed directly at Microsoft.
and that's great for all ( jmo )
Old July 8, 2009, 09:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

What makes this any better/different from Moblin ? (Intel's Linux OS aimed at netbooks). Or just plain Ubuntu, for that matter? I can do everything on my Ubuntu HTPC that I do on my Windows box except game, and that's only because I don't want to duplicate the expensive hardware in my gamer.
Old July 8, 2009, 09:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^ Agreed. Unless I can buy a game off the shelf (old or new) that works on Chrome, I really don't give a hoot. And netbooks are overrated underpowered products benefiting from a recesion. When things get back to "normal" I think we'll see a significant decline in netbook sales.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old July 8, 2009, 09:21 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
^^ Agreed. Unless I can buy a game off the shelf (old or new) that works on Chrome, I really don't give a hoot. And netbooks are overrated underpowered products benefiting from a recesion. When things get back to "normal" I think we'll see a significant decline in netbook sales.
This is what I've been thinking all along. Couldn't have said it better myself. At the moment...nothing can replace an up-to-date hardware loaded computer for gaming, applications (3d and animations) and graphic design. These gadgets that have been coming out the last year or so are strictly aimed at the younger generations as toys and boy, these young kids love toys..don't they

E8400@3.0Ghz - Gigabyte EP45 UD3L - OCZ 4GB PC2-8500 DDR2 - Sapphire 5750 512MB - 5 Seagate HD 500GB - Plextor 712A DVD-RW - CM HAF 922
Old July 8, 2009, 09:47 AM
Allstar

It's basically another linux distro. So what makes this one different from all the others out there?
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old July 8, 2009, 10:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
What makes this any better/different from Moblin ? (Intel's Linux OS aimed at netbooks). Or just plain Ubuntu, for that matter? I can do everything on my Ubuntu HTPC that I do on my Windows box except game, and that's only because I don't want to duplicate the expensive hardware in my gamer.

We have no idea what makes it better :P

But if any company has the ability to bring another OS to the table it's Google.