Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 8, 2009, 11:09 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Dam I didnt realize you already had a thread about this lol. What I find interesting is it will be a minimalized OS, which may be better for benching.
Old July 8, 2009, 11:10 AM
Allstar

The only big news would be : Google to release an OS for gamers.

Now i will be surprised/interested

Old July 8, 2009, 11:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

*puts his tin foil cap on even tighter*
Old July 8, 2009, 12:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Dam I didnt realize you already had a thread about this lol. What I find interesting is it will be a minimalized OS, which may be better for benching.
We posted them around the same time, just go link this thread into yours :P hehehe
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old July 8, 2009, 12:53 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

FiXT it for ya
Old July 8, 2009, 01:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy001 View Post
It's basically another linux distro. So what makes this one different from all the others out there?
Exactly what i was thinking, unless the gaming industry decides to switch over, or add another OS platform to support, MS will still be the leader as at least a gamer's OS.
Old July 8, 2009, 01:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If they can make Chrome as the all-in-one multimedia OS for HTPCs, such as browser, media (audio/video/image) player, mail, and TV, I'm sold. That would be perfect. No need to go to a desktop when we have all those buttons on our media keyboard...
Old July 10, 2009, 10:43 AM
MVP

1st - Netbooks are awesome for guys like me who travel a lot. Better than my BlackBerry in that the "monitor' is 8 inch vs 3, and I get an actual (tho small) keyboard. So if i need email but don't want to carry the full laptop (much lighter) and still need to see my spreadsheets (can't really do that on my BB) then netbook is the way to go. Small, cheap, light, runs "office".....say, if Chrome OS can run "office compatible" apps, and if they can keep it nice and cheap, then I'm in. After all, I only plan to keep each netbook for 2 years before the trade in. So if the OS is cheap, that drops the price. I can game on my Win7 tower at home.
Old July 23, 2009, 01:32 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

>>>Netbooks are awesome for guys like me who travel a lot.<<<

Me too. I got my first EeePC because of the SSD and portability but very soon found myself using it for almost everything I didn't need my Q6600 for. My "big" notebooks quickly fell into disuse.

My EeePC702 was fun to mod, adding a second internal cardreader, bluetooth and extra storage, but the 800x480 display was just too lo-res and battery life was too short. A beer spill in a local bar fried the keyboard and made me realize I needed a spare. Unfortunately the Atom-based 901 was still weeks away from being released in North America so I got a Dotham-based 900. At least it had a 1024x600 LCD and was about the same size and weight as the 702.

As soon as the 901 hit town I jumped on it and it instantly became my number one book and remained so even after getting an Asus N10J, which despite having dedicated Nvidia graphics was dog slow until I replaced the HDD and Vista with an SSD and WinXP. The big problem was the heavy, cumbersome 10" formfactor which I find just too big and annoying, especially considering that the display was only 1024x600. Battery life was okay but not as good as the 901.

Then I discovered the Everun Note, my idea of the ideal book so far. At 7.75" wide and only 4.5" deep it's small enough to fit in an inside jacket pocket and it weighs less than three-quarters of a kilogram, but features a Turion64x2 dualcore CPU and dedicated ATI graphics as well as internal bluetooth, 1024x600 7" touchscreen, wifi, USIM slot and an open miniPCIe slot for a 3G card (I got a Sierra MC8775). Best of all, it was available without storage or OS so I was able to use the 32GB 1.8" Mtron SLC SSD I'd originally bought to upgrade my (luckily ZIF-equipped) 901.

Now I regularly use three "net"books (I hate that term!). My Note is my pocket companion in the city while my N10J is my desktop replacement at my country retreat. My trusty old 901 is my around-the-house book at home, often used in conjunction with my Q6600 system.

Microbooks rock.

To get back on topic, I see Google Chrome OS as a security-oriented solution designed for mainly websurfing and internet access. By keeping it lean and mean, there are fewer holes to be exploited.

It sounds like it's somewhere between a standard Linux distro and a BIOS-based "OS" like Splashtop. Great for dual-booting.
Old July 23, 2009, 02:15 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Make me a HTPC OS without the need to download an idiotic number of codecs and whatnot while PROPERLY supporting DLNA and I'm sold. There's a reason my HTPC is collecting dust and that's because I am someone who wants a "set it and forget it" type of solution when playing media.

As for this being a "benching" OS, I highly doubt MS will license DirectX to a competitor anytime soon and there are next to zero games using OpenGL these days. That limits your benching to anything but the GPU.