Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 5, 2009, 11:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Make WLM open E-mail using IE instead of Firefox

Is there a way to make Windows Live Messenger use Internet Explorer when I check my hotmail account? I have Firefox set as the default browser, just like when I was using Windows XP. However back in MSN 8.5 and Windows XP, I was able to open my e-mail account with Internet Explorer despite having Firefox set as my default browser. With the new Windows Live Messenger and Windows 7, that's not possible, and the only way to do that is to set Internet Explorer as the default browser, which I do not want.
Old July 6, 2009, 12:36 PM
MVP

Something I've always wished MSN or WLM would do is open your email inbox with your default browser instead of IE. I was overjoyed when the latest version did so, but quickly found it to be an annoyance because I clear my cache so often that I've got to relogin ever time. Also, I use 2 hotmail and live email addresses so if you're signed in FireFox in this case with address #1, and signed in WLM with address #2, you click on the mail button in WLM and you're still logged in as address #1 haha. Kind of stinks.

I've come across this little solution, I haven't done much research on it and I don't know how respectable the source is but nonetheless I'm sure you'll be able to find more info on it.
Make Windows Live Messenger 2009?s Hotmail button use IE. | The Windows Club

The little app I guess you could call it seems to be pretty useful. Haven't tried it yet as I'm not ready to open IE again in the near future.

Of course if that doesn't work, there's always the option of downgrading one version.

Good luck and hope it works!!
Old July 6, 2009, 01:03 PM
Allstar

I just use ccleaner and set it up to not delete those cookies. I clear my cache and no longer have to sign into any of my sites.