Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 1, 2009, 08:25 PM
Allstar

Default best freeware for my system

im reinstalling my both rig at home and i want to get the best freeware available

im currently using

Comodo Firewall Pro
Avast!

then for system clean up

Ccleaner
Spybot search and destroy
SuperAntispyware
Defragler

Comodo now offer a system cleaner and i havent give it a try yet

anyone have great freeware that can do the job right without having to install 12 diff programs??

DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D / AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7Ghz/ 2*1GB OCZ Gold GX XTC / Sapphire X1950XT / Fortron 450W PSU / 2*Maxtor 80Gb

Old July 1, 2009, 10:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Drop Spybot and use MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.

Could go with Jkdefrag or Auslogics instead as well. Don't think Defraggler is one of the top-rated ones.

Software firewall is useless IMO assuming you have a router. One could argue all security software is useless if you just browse safely since I don't have any AV, software firewall or any anti-spyware/malware programs installed.

There's no magical all-in-one program though so you'll have to install a bunch of things no matter what.
Old July 2, 2009, 08:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Battlefield Heroes
FEAR Combat
Quake Live
Far Cry (gamershell.com)
Red Alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post

Could go with Jkdefrag or Auslogics instead as well. Don't think Defraggler is one of the top-rated ones.

Software firewall is useless IMO assuming you have a router. One could argue all security software is useless if you just browse safely since I don't have any AV, software firewall or any anti-spyware/malware programs installed.

There's no magical all-in-one program though so you'll have to install a bunch of things no matter what.
I understand what you are saying so correct me if I am wrong. But I thought a router will only stop inbound nasties. If something does infect your system and say it wants to email itself to all your contacts, your router won't do jack. So in that case a software FW will be the only thing to stop it.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old July 2, 2009, 08:52 AM
Allstar

^ yep. hardware firewall only stops incoming probes. software firewall actually tells you your system is compromised if it's logging unsolicited transmissions.
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old July 2, 2009, 09:10 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post

You don't think Zonealarm is any good? So what's protecting your O/S?

Last edited by Bonami; July 2, 2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old July 2, 2009, 09:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I agree with pretty much everything said. this also depends allot on which OS you are using there is one program that I use on my win xp OS that is great and that is returnil the free version works great the only thing is that if you install anything with returnil on and you reboot well it won't be there so to install anything you have to turn off returnil. this is why I use portable applications on a separate partition ( I got the idea when using linux). also use a decent hosts file which also protects pretty good the hosts file is located C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts . this is all I can think of off the top of my head
Old July 2, 2009, 08:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I don't know about you guys but I never get spyware/malware/viruses. You people must be going to some crazy sites

And yes I have installed various programs and scanned from time to time only to turn up clean. Thus why I don't bother to have any security software running.

The odd time I want to go to some random site for whatever reason, I just fire up a XP virtual machine and go to it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonami View Post
You don't think Zonealarm is any good? So what's protecting your O/S?
If I HAD to run one, it would be Comodo for firewall. I use NOD32 as my anti-virus (assuming I bother to install it)
Old July 23, 2009, 05:45 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

When you start backing up media, Get Media Player Home Cinema to do playback. http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/