Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Windows 7 Version Question (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/19487-windows-7-version-question.html)

geokilla July 1, 2009 08:53 PM

Windows 7 Version Question

So I'm deciding whether to get Windows 7 upgrade version or not since it's so cheap. However it seems that Windows 7 Home Premium lacks some features that I might need that are only available in the other versions. One of them is Windows XP Mode, domain (workgroup?), and the 35 different languages that Ultimate has. If I use Windows 7 Home Premium, will the OS be able to show Chinese, Japanese, and Korean characters properly? With my Windows XP, I have to enable the East Asian language files and change the Unicode files to Chinese (Hong Kong S.A.R.) in order to get the Chinese and Japanese characters to show correctly.

Caldezar July 1, 2009 10:17 PM

Ultimate also has the on-the-fly encryption that can be transferred to thumb drives as well. And, as with Vista, I would imagine there are several other features, not listed, that only Ultimate will have available.

Does anyone know if RDP will be available for all versions?

JD July 1, 2009 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caldezar (Post 216614)
Does anyone know if RDP will be available for all versions?

You can only host Remote Desktop in Professional and Ultimate. Home Premium can only connect to them, not run it.

That's what I've heard at least. And well you can get a free VNC server to solve that anyways...

Sodium Bromate July 2, 2009 07:31 AM

With Home Premium, some of the chinese/japanese/korean characters won't show properly.
But unless you're either chinese/japanese/korean/weeaboo, then it shouldn't be a problem.
Home Premium or Professional should do the trick. Ultimate is kind of a rip off.
And regarding that on the fly encryption feature; TrueCrypt is far superior.

geokilla July 2, 2009 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sodium Bromate (Post 216726)
With Home Premium, some of the chinese/japanese/korean characters won't show properly.
But unless you're either chinese/japanese/korean/weeaboo, then it shouldn't be a problem.
Home Premium or Professional should do the trick. Ultimate is kind of a rip off.
And regarding that on the fly encryption feature; TrueCrypt is far superior.

What do you mean some? Shouldn't it be either it works or it doesn't? I'm Chinese and have lots of Chinese and Japanese songs, and soon lots of Korean songs so that'll pose a problem if Home Premium doesn't support East Asian languages like Windows XP Pro.

JD July 2, 2009 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geokilla (Post 216879)
What do you mean some? Shouldn't it be either it works or it doesn't? I'm Chinese and have lots of Chinese and Japanese songs, and soon lots of Korean songs so that'll pose a problem if Home Premium doesn't support East Asian languages like Windows XP Pro.

I doubt that's true. You'll probably just have to download the language pack.

enaberif July 2, 2009 09:29 PM

Windows 7 Professional – This edition drops the Business label used in Windows Vista and goes back to the old XP-era name, presumably to give XP users more comfort in their upgrade decision. Unlike Vista Business, this edition contains all features in the Home Premium edition, including Media Center. For the extra cost, you get more traditional business features like the ability to join a Windows domain, group policy based management tools, Remote Desktop host capabilities, network-based backup features, and support for the Encrypting file system.