Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

View Poll Results: Which OS to install after format?
Windows XP Pro 32 bit 7 18.92%
Windows 7 32 bit 3 8.11%
Windows 7 64 bit 27 72.97%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 3, 2009, 08:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I see some torrents for RTM already. Not sure if they're the legit RTM ones or not though. Would I want to try those or just stick with release candidiates....
Old July 4, 2009, 10:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just installed Windows 7 64 bit and loving it so far. I installed most of my programs and am trying to get Folding@Home to run as a service.

So far, Windows 7 seems to be pretty good but I just randomly got a BSOD. How do I disable that auto restart when I get a BSOD?

Edit: Is Windows 7 supposed to take only like 30 minutes to install and format?

Last edited by geokilla; July 4, 2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old July 4, 2009, 11:17 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

missing options:

vista x64

I recently downgraded my spare win7 rig due to skype/gaming crashing issues. Probably due to a sound driver glitch. Audio and Printers are ALWAYS the most painful part of a bleeding edge OS upgrade when it comes to product compatiability and stability. It's stood true for over a decade. ;P
Old July 4, 2009, 11:18 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
I see some torrents for RTM already. Not sure if they're the legit RTM ones or not though. Would I want to try those or just stick with release candidiates....
you can get the RTM direct from microsoft's web site. oh wait.. i got RTM and RC mixed up.. ha! Stick with release candidates until you get a legit key. It's safe to say "torrent" keys are not going to go far with this release from Microsoft, and i'm double certain your RC keys wont work on the final release.
Old July 5, 2009, 06:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The RC is practically a finished product anyway, and any holes or bugs they fix will be updated on RC. I'm not digging the whole OS from torrents anymore after the last report or spyware and malware.
Old July 5, 2009, 07:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Problem! Ever since I installed Windows 7 I got a couple of BSODs and my rig automatically turned off by itself. This morning, I woke up to find my rig off, and refusing to turn on. After 5 unsuccessful boots, the motherboard reverted back to stock settings and I had to manually load my overclock settings. This time, I'm running the RAM timings at 4-4-4-12 and adding +0.1V to the northbridge and FSB. Vcore stays the same.

Oh yea, can anyone recommend an alternative to Nero 6? Nero 6 doesn't work anymore and I don't like the later Nero versions because they're so bloated.

Oh and KIS 2010 (KIS 9) is released.

Last edited by geokilla; July 7, 2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old July 5, 2009, 11:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Oh yea, can anyone recommend an alternative to Nero 6? Nero 6 doesn't work anymore and I don't like the later Nero versions because they're so bloated.
I agree. I used Nero 6.6 on XP and liked it but then could not get it to work on vista. I have thought of a solution though. If you are using windows 7 then you can get the XP mode running and see if it will work there. It really should work. I have not tried it yet myself, though it is something that I want to try.

Old July 5, 2009, 12:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
I agree. I used Nero 6.6 on XP and liked it but then could not get it to work on vista. I have thought of a solution though. If you are using windows 7 then you can get the XP mode running and see if it will work there. It really should work. I have not tried it yet myself, though it is something that I want to try.
That'd only be a temporary solution since if I decide to get Windows 7 Home Premium, I won't have the Windows XP mode.

Does anyone know how to force Windows Media Player to play music to all 4 speakers just like it did in Windows XP? As of right now, my music's only coming out from the main speakers. My surround speakers are completely dead. Enabling speaker fill does virtually nothing since all I get from the two surround speakers are low bit-rate, distorted music.

Edit: Got a pic of the BSOD.
Attached Images

Last edited by geokilla; July 5, 2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old July 5, 2009, 10:21 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

it will be interesting to see what vendors support their sound cards/onboard sound chips on this new OS. it's caused me crashes too. i'll just fall back to vista 64 and prey that my board manufacturer creates win7 drivers, and simply doesnt release NEW models with win7 support instead. =P
Old July 7, 2009, 02:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm still getting most of my sound out from just the front two speakers. My surround speakers are completely dead and like I said before, enabling speaker fill does virtually nothing. Many people have this problem as well and there seems to be no fix for this problem. This basically makes my 4 speaker system useless.

windows 7 surround sound - Google Search