Motherboard using the AMD 770 or 790X chipset
ATI HD4770 or HD4850
Corsair VX550W
Antec 300 or Coolermaster CM690

Should be roughly $800 I think.
Old June 28, 2009, 08:26 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

PSU means power supply right? Does a good PSU help performance? Sorry I have lots of questions ».» Ill pm you next time if that's ok?
Old June 28, 2009, 09:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by icepizza View Post
PSU means power supply right? Does a good PSU help performance? Sorry I have lots of questions ».» Ill pm you next time if that's ok?
Yes, PSU does mean power supply. No, a good power supply won't help performance, but I guess you can look at it this way: You have a good power supply, so you can overclock better, resulting in better performance. You also won't want to skimp out on the PSU, since a low quality one can die and take your parts with it, since it most likely won't have built in protection to protect your parts.

Also, don't worry if you have a lot of questions! Ask away, we're always here to help.
Old June 28, 2009, 10:55 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hmm.. how does a good PSU help you OC better?
Old June 28, 2009, 11:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Typically when you OC you will increase the voltage at certain places (mobo, cpu, gpu, etc). As you increase the voltage you will be increasing the amount of current that is drawn to each device and ergo causing it use more wattage.
Old June 29, 2009, 08:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Typically when you OC you will increase the voltage at certain places (mobo, cpu, gpu, etc). As you increase the voltage you will be increasing the amount of current that is drawn to each device and ergo causing it use more wattage.
Actually this is false. All you would be doing is increasing the voltage, but not the current. Power is the product of the two, so yes you would be increasing your power consumption. You would be seeing an increase in heat from the components though because heat is a result of the cubic of voltage. By getting a quality PSU you will see much improved voltage sag characteristics and power factor correction. The voltage can sag on a PSU when the current (or the load) on the 12V, 5V, 3.3V --whatever rail has load on it-- is high. I don't want to get into details, but inductance and capacitance effects happen along those power cords that causes the voltage to sag or rise depending on load.

There are also IČR losses in the wire as well, which is another unit of power. It is a product of the square of leakage current or Eddy current losses and the resistance of the conductor. As a note, heat is a unit of power. This is why copper is used in some instances when voltage regulation is vital; it has a much lower resistance than aluminum. This is also a reason why it is more expensive than aluminum. The same adheres to heatsinks as well.

Anyway, hope this shows you some of the science around power flow and transfer and why getting a quality PSU can help with stabilizing voltages and reducing power losses to help maximize overclocking ability.